• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

90hp mercury water pump problem

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90hp mercury water pump problem

I have a 90 hp 1986 mercury outboard, it is not getting enough water to the engine. The impeller looks good, but the top housing seal seems to be gone, would this cause the pump to suck air and not pump water to the engine?

Re: 90hp mercury water pump problem

Peg, You need to be a bit more specific. There is no seal in the water pump cover. There are gaskets that sandwich the impeller. There is a seal in the waterpump outlet, where the water tube fits.

How do you know you are not getting enough water?

Comment

I have the lower unit off and I can see down through the water inlet groves. I am going to replaced the whole water pump unit to see if this helps with my problem. The water is not even coming out of the pee hole even when idling. Does the shaft that runs the impeller turn all the time?

Comment

I have taken an air hose and blown air through the line, air comes out at the bottom of the water pump inlet hose, but when I put my finger over the hose air comes out somewhere inside the housing. It seems I have a hole in my water hose going to the engine, or is this normal?

Comment

Peg, You have really confused me now. There is a single copper watertube the connects to the water pump cover and supplies the motor with cooling water.

Just so you know, water from the lake enters the waterpump base from the bottom thru the 4 holes on each side of the geracase, just above the bullet shaped part of the gearcase. The impeller runs in a non-circular chamber, which causes it to be pumped up the water tube.

The driveshaft is supposed to be splined to the impeller, so it turns whenever the motor is running.

Comment

I know all the mechanics of the water pump. I put air to the pee hole to check if there was an obstruction after I took the bottom end off.

Comment

Air don't mean Sh=t . Water does.

Comment

OK, that I understand. You realize the cooling system is an open one! Air blown into the telltale can exit thru the water tube or the exhaust extention. If you want to check for a cooling system obstruction, put a water hose on the water tube and give it a few pounds of water pressure. Just a little, or you may damage the powerhead. If you see water exiting the midsection, the water jacket is clear. Make sure the motor is vertical so the water doesn't get into the cylinders.

Comment

Thanks for the help, Chris 1956 I'll try the water hose to see what happens. Mi duck down if you don't have anything to comment for help I don't need your input.

Comment

You do have the drive key between the driveshaft and the inpeller, right?

Comment

Yes. Drive key is in. Hooked up water hose as you said. Water coming out of tube that goes to water pump. Put in new water pump today and all works good. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                      X