1986 Mercury 90hp on a Cajun Bass Boat Starting Problem

kskid21

Recruit
I just recently purchased a 86 Cajun bass boat with a 90 Hp mercury 1986 model. I have been dealing with a prolonged starting period, even after the motor has been ran for multiple minutes Eventually it will start and run, but it just seems like to me that i should not take that long to start, a tune up has been done on the motor, and a new primer bulb has been put on, it will stay hard when you pump it up but after it is ran it wont be still anymore. If anyone has any ideas on what this could be please let me know so i can end this frustration.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1986 Mercury 90hp on a Cajun Bass Boat Starting Problem

There are a lot of things that can cause your symptoms. You really need to do a quick compression test and then give us those results. From that we can maybe head you in the right direction.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Welcome to iboats kskid21. I had an 87 Merc 150 and I found it liked fuel alot! Try this: pump the primer bulb until hard; turn the key to the "on" position, push in the key and hold it in while you slowly count to 8, then rotate the key to start. If it doesn't fire up, repeat. You may also need to advance the idle throttle while cranking. Good Luck!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Physics 101: Fuel is "sucked" through the primer bulb once the engine starts. What makes you think it should stay firm after starting? This is not a problem. If you are not using the fast idle lever and are not priming the engine using the 8-count or pushing in on the key while cranking -- this is called operator error and is not a problem with the engine.

kskid21

Recruit

Physics 101: Fuel is "sucked" through the primer bulb once the engine starts. What makes you think it should stay firm after starting? This is not a problem. If you are not using the fast idle lever and are not priming the engine using the 8-count or pushing in on the key while cranking -- this is called operator error and is not a problem with the engine.

Im new with boats If you are going to be a jackass about it then do not reply, thanks everyone else for your help.

kskid21

Recruit

Welcome to iboats kskid21. I had an 87 Merc 150 and I found it liked fuel alot! Try this: pump the primer bulb until hard; turn the key to the "on" position, push in the key and hold it in while you slowly count to 8, then rotate the key to start. If it doesn't fire up, repeat. You may also need to advance the idle throttle while cranking. Good Luck!

Thanks a lot i will give that a try!