Carburetor question

fancy1

Seaman Apprentice
WE have a Mercury 500 50 HP with thunderbolt ignition that the bottom caruretor is pouring gas out of the copper bolt that holds the bottom of the caruretor, the top one drips from the same spot. We suppposedly had it rebuilt but when we got it back it was worse than before, all the boat place near us want to charge more to fix it than it is actually worth, so we found one on e-bay with a serial number close to our. Our serial number is 4806224 and the one we found on e-bay is 4118963. Does anyone know if this one would work for us, because I was told that more than likely because of where they are leaking they were either stipped or corroded. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carburetor question

The serial number 48 is a 1977 motor, and the serial num of 41 is a 1975. According to the parts list the older motor has side bowl carbs and your motor has center bowl carbs. I do not know if they interchange.

The brass bolt on the base of the carb is supposed to have a gasket on it. It doesn't look like you can buy it separately, but it MAY be part of the carb gasket kit that you can buy for a few dollars. Check the ebasicpower web site or crowleymarine web site.

I would put an oring on it or a gasket from a auto store (take the bolt in to them) and call it a draw. Alternatively, you can drain the carb, clean the mating parts of the bolt and bowl, and put a bead of silicone on the bolt, wait 5 minutes and then install it.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Did they install the gasket/washers between the fuel bowl and the copper bolt? Why not take bolt out and see if is goofed up?
Any hardware or auto store should have a fiber washer to fit.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you had it rebuilt and they won't fix it somethings not right. I would take it back!

fancy1

Seaman Apprentice

the guy was just doing us a favor so he wasn't charging us for it thank goodness. Thanks for the replies, we will be checking everything to see if it's missing the washer

fancy1

Seaman Apprentice

We rebuilt both carbs and re installed them. They are no longer leaking which is great, however now it will not stay running. It will start and run great for a few minutes (maybe 3 or 4 minutes) sometimes not that long, then it seems to idle down just a hair and quits running. It doesn't sputter before it quits it just cuts off. We adjusted the idle screw by running it all the way in and then back out 1 and 1/4 turn as we read in a different post. That didn't help. The primer bulb stays pretty firm the whole time. Any ideas what could be causing this problem?

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did you reset the float heights to spec?Floats in good condition?Needle/seats replaced and all new gaskets?
Also try again and pump bulb when she starts quitting.If that helps you may need fuel pump service.

fancy1

Seaman Apprentice

Did you reset the float heights to spec?Floats in good condition?Needle/seats replaced and all new gaskets?
Also try again and pump bulb when she starts quitting.If that helps you may need fuel pump service.

WE did put in all new gaskets, new float new needle and seat. We don't know if it was set to spec or how to tell if that is right A friend did that part for us. As for pumping the bulb when it starts to quit we tried that and it didn't help it still cut off. The guy that done the float and needle just tinkers with carbs and done it as a favor to us How can we tell if it is set to spec and how do we find out what spec is supposed to be? Would we have to take the whole thing apart again to re set the float?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The serial number 48 is a 1977 motor, and the serial num of 41 is a 1975. According to the parts list the older motor has side bowl carbs and your motor has center bowl carbs. I do not know if they interchange.

The brass bolt on the base of the carb is supposed to have a gasket on it. It doesn't look like you can buy it separately, but it MAY be part of the carb gasket kit that you can buy for a few dollars. Check the ebasicpower web site or crowleymarine web site.

I would put an oring on it or a gasket from a auto store (take the bolt in to them) and call it a draw. Alternatively, you can drain the carb, clean the mating parts of the bolt and bowl, and put a bead of silicone on the bolt, wait 5 minutes and then install it.

Gasoline and silicone are not compatable. DO NOT DO THAT. Buy a sheet of gasket material and MAKE a gasket. This ain't rocket science.

fancy1

Seaman Apprentice

Gasoline and silicone are not compatable. DO NOT DO THAT. Buy a sheet of gasket material and MAKE a gasket. This ain't rocket science.

We did not do that we bought gaskets and used them. Now we just don't know what is causing it to quit running

fancy1

Seaman Apprentice

First I want to Thank all of you that replied and help us since we are not very mechanically inclined lol. We got both Carbs rebuilt and working however we broke the piece that connects the 2 carbs together and open them up together and we need to buy a new one but have no clue what that piece is called so that we can order it. Do any of you have a clue what it's called??? I was looking in our Service manual to see if I could find it and it may be the "linkage" but not sure.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

Thats called the carb syncronizer or "coupling assembly", I think the correct part is # 53719A2 . They are still available, I broke mine not too long ago.

fancy1

Seaman Apprentice

Where did you order it from, I check the iboats store and couldn't find anything remotely like it?

Thats called the carb syncronizer or "coupling assembly", I think the correct part is # 53719A2 . They are still available, I broke mine not too long ago.