1975 Mercury 20hp, leak with part where gas line attaches to carb

heed316

Cadet
I rebuilt my carb today and after hooking everything back up, I discovered that I have a pretty bad fuel leak. Gas is leaking like crazy around where the new gasket makes contact with the gas inlet hose part. These pictures show the part that is on the carb:

IMG_20120501_185703.jpgIMG_20120501_185721.jpgIMG_20120501_185756.jpg

I'm guessing the previous owner put this out gas attachment piece on as the one in the service manual shows a different piece than what I have:

pdf.jpg

What I need to know is if I should purchase a new part that doesn't leak, try reseating the gasket as that is where the leak is coming from, or what. I get an almost immediate bubbling of the gas and then leaking as soon as I attach the fuel line and pump the bulb. Also, does anyone have the actual name for that piece or a part #? The service manual doesn't have its name and I can't seem to find what it is called. Thanks for any help!

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1975 Mercury 20hp, leak with part where gas line attaches to carb

I have two of these engines, and both have a different type than what is pictured in your manual ;)

http //www boats net/parts/detail/merc/M-59071.html

This should be the correct part, and the last two I got were metal instead of plastic :)

Very common for the plastic one to crack and leak

Last edited:

heed316

Cadet

I have two of these engines, and both have a different type than what is pictured in your manual ;)

http //www boats net/parts/detail/merc/M-59071.html

This should be the correct part, and the last two I got were metal instead of plastic :)

Very common for the plastic one to crack and leak

Do you know if the one in your link is a metal one? Thanks

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

not positive, but it should be as the plastic part was replaced with the metal part a number of years ago

that site is good about listing an old part number for ease, but giving you the updated part.