1985 mercury 150 blackmax problems!

patesw

Cadet
Went to start engine after trolling and engine would not start. The starter seems to be turning fine just not getting any fire. I let it set up a little while and it fired right up. Went to check it again and it would turn over just no fire. I checked simple things like spark plugs, fuel, fuses, battery, etc... I went outside this morning and was able to put the ears on it and it cranked up and ran a good 15 min before I shut it down. I am pretty mechanically inclined and can read circuitry pretty well! Just need a little direction.

patesw

Cadet
Re: 1985 mercury 150 blackmax problems!

I would appreciate all the help I can get with troubleshooting this engine. I have plenty of time and I listen and follow advice well.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Has ball gone soft or staying firm?Check carb not flooding.Check your starting procedure re choking and open throttle etc.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

A lot of times this is caused by low compression. It will start and run fine on the hose with no back pressure but once it's in the water it has a hard time holding fuel in the cylinders and creating adequate crankcase pressure. Typically this will happen when the engine has sat for a while after a run at moderate or wide open throttle. What's happening is that the fuel in the crankcase has evaporated leaving behind only the oil and because of the low pressure in the crankcase, you're not pulling in as much fuel as it requires to get the mix back to a point where it's combustible. Opening the throttle slightly and tilting the motor up sometimes helps to get it started.

I would recommend doing a compression test on the motor to see if all the cylinders are within 15% of the cylinder with the highest compression. If that cylinder is more than 15% off from what it was new then you should consider rebuilding the motor or replacing it. In any case, a compression test will get you started in the right direction for continued trouble shooting whether it be carbs, synch, ignition, etc.

patesw

Cadet

Has ball gone soft or staying firm?Check carb not flooding.Check your starting procedure re choking and open throttle etc.

After sitting the ball does loose some pressure, when I look into the carbs I squeeze the bulb and can see gas coming out.the balls are cheap do you recommend changing it out?

patesw

Cadet

A lot of times this is caused by low compression. It will start and run fine on the hose with no back pressure but once it's in the water it has a hard time holding fuel in the cylinders and creating adequate crankcase pressure. Typically this will happen when the engine has sat for a while after a run at moderate or wide open throttle. What's happening is that the fuel in the crankcase has evaporated leaving behind only the oil and because of the low pressure in the crankcase, you're not pulling in as much fuel as it requires to get the mix back to a point where it's combustible. Opening the throttle slightly and tilting the motor up sometimes helps to get it started.

I would recommend doing a compression test on the motor to see if all the cylinders are within 15% of the cylinder with the highest compression. If that cylinder is more than 15% off from what it was new then you should consider rebuilding the motor or replacing it. In any case, a compression test will get you started in the right direction for continued trouble shooting whether it be carbs, synch, ignition, etc.

I had a compression test done two weeks ago and all cylinders were good unless just recently something happened.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

After sitting the ball does loose some pressure, when I look into the carbs I squeeze the bulb and can see gas coming out.the balls are cheap do you recommend changing it out?

That's called FLOODING.

Order carb kits and go thru the carbs.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

I had a compression test done two weeks ago and all cylinders were good unless just recently something happened.

Do you have the results from the compression test. If so, could you post them here. I just had a guy drop a motor off that had a recent compression test and the guy totally misread the results. I proved it when I pulled the head and showed the owner the scoring and flashed over piston.

patesw

Cadet

Thanks for all the input I changed out the primer ball and it runs better than ever!

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You still might want to service those carbs and reset float levels.

logan dominy

Recruit

i have a 1985 mercury 150 blackmax i have changed spark plugs,fule lines, and have a new switch box on its way because 1 side aint firing... before i would have to use starter fluid to get it to crank and it wouldnt stay running with the ne switch box will it fix my problem. thanks for the help