2005 Mercury 25hp 2 Stroke Electric/Pull Start Tiller Control Maintenance Question

Epitome

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Motor has been used 3-4 times since new (Summer of 2010 being the last) and has never had the pump changed. Owner's manual says 100 hours or every 3 years. Motor is stored in heated garage. I wonder if swapping it now is overkill or not. I certainly don't want it to fail when out on the water, so my instinct is to just do it. It just seems like a waste of money if I didn't need to.

Another weird question. Motor has pull start or electric start. Owner's manual says that running the motor disconnected from a battery can damage the alternator/generator. Firstly, I didn't realize it had a battery charging unit in it. I always thought I could just use the motor pull starter if I didn't have a battery. Secondly, is there a way around battery hook up? Bolting the wires together (probably not good) etc?

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 2005 Mercury 25hp 2 Stroke Electric/Pull Start Tiller Control Maintenance Questio

That's been a long time andf if it were mine, i would change the impeller

Operating without a battery is OK but dependant on this warning from the service manual:

WARNING
Before operating engine with battery leads disconnected from battery, disconnect
stator leads (Yellow) from rectifier. Insulate (tape) stator lead ring terminals.

Post your s/n and I'll send you the service manual and the parts listing.

Gerry