Mercury 90 Saltwater Problems backfire, white smoke

psjr57

Cadet
I have a 2003 Mercury 90hp ELPTO serial OT605708 that is giving me a bit of a problem. I want to take my 5 yearold grandson out but I certainly dont want any problem while underway. the motor turns on with no problem with the rabbitears and it idles great. It starts to backfire and a plume of white smoke comes out in the exaust When I rev up to about 1400. It does this about every 15-20 seconds. the rpm drop slightly to 1000. The bacfire and smoke are not eveident when it is ideling. It will not turn off when its in idle. the carbs have never been broken down and cleaned. SOmeone suggested that it is running lean. Should I pull the carbs and do an entire kit, should I look at the fuel pump? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Pete

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mercury 90 Saltwater Problems backfire, white smoke

White smoke or bluish smoke?White smoke could mean water intrusion.Check plugs are brown/blackish and not squeaky clean which would mean possible leak in block/gasket.

psjr57

Cadet

IThanks for responding. I checked the plugs and all 3 have shades of brown/lack.What does running lean mean? Is it no getting enough fuel to one of the 3 carbs? thank You.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Carb service would be a great start.Check all fuel system,filters hoses etc.