Mercury 200 HP EFI Starting Problems

scisgr8

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2001 Mercury 200 HP Saltwater EFI 2 Stroke Engine and am having starting problems.

Serial # OT332998 2001 200XL EFI 200 HP

Around New Years, was cruising with family and boat stalled, had a hard time starting but eventually got started and immediately put back on trailer and have been troubleshooting ever since.

Currently the boat won't start. The starter engages with the flywheel but won't turn the flywheel.

1. Hooked up a new battery and same thing. I have dual batteries and had both batteries tested and both tested good, so have ruled the battery issue out but acts like it's not getting enough juice to move the fly wheel and turn the engine over, its like the fly wheel is stuck.

2. Ordered a new starter and assembled, same issue, so obviously the old starter wasn't bad.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I should try next? troubleshoot? before I take to shop and I'm sure its something simple that I'll get charged and arm and leg for.

Thanks,

mercury.jpg

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 200 HP EFI Starting Problems

Well lets do a little basic troubleshooting:
1) Remove oil fill plug in lower unit and see if you have water or large metal shavings on magnet,if so lower unit has took a dump and has motor locked up. Proceed to step 2 if oil is ok.
2) Remove the spark plugs and look for a different color or electrode damage. Take a 15/16 socket and 1/2" rachet and put on nut in center of flywheel,see if you can turn engine over easily. If no movement engine is locked up..
Post your results and we will proceed further....