1989 Mercury Outboard (4cylinder)

slamelab

Recruit
Hi, i had the boat on the lake when a big storm hit. I had some bilge pump problems and on the way in, my motor was pulling hard and heavy due to to water in the boat. When I got it close to shore scraped some rocks, chipped the propeller, and after setting the boat free of rocks tried starting it, it turned but no start. Now a week later, i replaced the gas in the tank, drained the fuel pump to make sure no water was in it, started it almost immediately but after putting it forward and back towards neutral it stopped, now i try starting but just turns. I checked sparks, cleaned and they fire, any ideas. Thanks, I dont have much knowledge of marine engines. This is my first boat and my first problem.

slamelab

Recruit
Re: 1989 Mercury Outboard (4cylinder)

Also after I noticed that the red ground was corroded and separate from the battery. if that makes any difference.If so , can that help in finding a solution. I reconnected and no start.

Hi, i had the boat on the lake when a big storm hit. I had some bilge pump problems and on the way in, my motor was pulling hard and heavy due to to water in the boat. When I got it close to shore scraped some rocks, chipped the propeller, and after setting the boat free of rocks tried starting it, it turned but no start. Now a week later, i replaced the gas in the tank, drained the fuel pump to make sure no water was in it, started it almost immediately but after putting it forward and back towards neutral it stopped, now i try starting but just turns. I checked sparks, cleaned and they fire, any ideas. Thanks, I dont have much knowledge of marine engines. This is my first boat and my first problem.