Mercury 4 stroke 25hp gear shaft rod disconnect during a water pump repair.

rocky229

Recruit
How in the world do I disconnect that gear linkage rod when I drop the lower unit?. What I have read is to take out the starter but I can't get to the bottom bolt on the starter. I am in the middle of this for the first time and everything I have read, prior, never showed this rod. it looked easy but now it backfired and I am in a jam.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury 4 stroke 25hp gear shaft rod disconnect during a water pump repair.

Rocky;

What is your engine s/n? Post it and I will send you the manual. The shift shaft is disconnected at the base of the powerhead by releasing a retainer but it is better for you to see the pictures in the manual.

Gerry

rocky229

Recruit

Rocky;

What is your engine s/n? Post it and I will send you the manual. The shift shaft is disconnected at the base of the powerhead by releasing a retainer but it is better for you to see the pictures in the manual.

Gerry

ser # 0T769017 Thanks

carholme

Rear Admiral

Rocky;

That s/n comes up as a model:

1F25412AD MERCURY 2003 25

Parts Listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/6949.cfm

Service Manual P/N: 90-854785R2

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/FourStroke/854785r2/cover.pdf

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

Page 6A-13 shows the picture of the shift shaft retainer and clip. Lift up the retainer and slide the clip to release the shift rod. If you have trouble locating the retainer area, have someone move the shifter through it's range while you are watching the engine.

Gerry