1996 90hp 3cyl mercury ticking noise or clacking noise

jobarb

Cadet
There's a ticking or clacking noise-it seems to be coming from number 2 cylinder-when I remove the spark plug I can't here the noise. It seems to be the loudest at the top end of engine. It starts right up and runs fine. Except for the tick or clack. I exchanged plugs but same tick or clack from number 2 cylinder. I have used a stethoscope to zero in where the noise is coming from. I have a video of the noise but I can't download it. Does anyone know what it could be? 1996 90hp 3cyl Mercury

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 90hp 3cyl mercury ticking noise or clacking noise

Do a compression check but if the noise goes away without a load then that says cracked/broken piston skirt, rod bearing, wrist pin bearing, scored cylinder to name just a few. Could even be carbon build up.

jobarb

Cadet

Do a compression check but if the noise goes away without a load then that says cracked/broken piston skirt, rod bearing, wrist pin bearing, scored cylinder to name just a few. Could even be carbon build up.

I haven't done a compression check yet-I ran the engine today with the muffs for about 5 mins-when I checked the plugs on 2 cylinders there was minute water particles plus with a magnified glass I see very little minute metal fragments.
Can you tell me what that means? Can the water particles just be condensation until the motor heats up?

jobarb

Cadet

I did a compression check and all 3 cyl checked out at 120+ so what can it be?