2009 Mercury 4 stroke Tiller Handle Replacement

r00s7a

Recruit
I've got a 2009 Mercury 4 stroke tiller handle that needs replacement. Can anyone provide instructions/manual on how to replace this? Many thank in advance.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 2009 Mercury 4 stroke Tiller Handle Replacement

2009, 4 stroke, what hp and s/n?

Gerry

carholme

Rear Admiral

r00s7a

Recruit

OK, went home and took it apart as much as I could and figured out what I need to fix or replace. I was able to take it apart enough to get the throttle shaft out from inside the handle, but only because the tiller handle is broken off at the end. See pic #2. Looking at this first picture, how do I (or DO I?) detach the throttle cables in the green area, where the throttle cables make a 90 degree turn? I feel like I am going to have to remove the throttle shaft out of the tiller handle to be able to slide it back up in the inner grip, but I can't due to cable constraints. Is this accurate?

tiller1.jpg

And do you think it would work to use JB Weld or something of that nature to put this thing back together, as opposed to buying a whole new tiller handle?

tiller2.jpg

gwukena

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why don't you talk to a dealer? You'll probably getting the parts from them anyways?

r00s7a

Recruit

#1, nearest dealer is over three hours away. #2, I like fixing things, best way to learn how they work. #3, Isn't that the whole point of this forum? People helping other people fix things on their own?

dwhite1031

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it were me....I don't think I'd rely on using JB-Weld for that. It's a fine product, but not sure of the shear strength factor when that tiller is under stress of operation. And if it failed again while you're on the water.....then you're faced with getting back to shore and back to the original problem......just my U.S. Mint issued 2 cents...which is probably only worth .783 cents nowadays.....