mercury quicksilver throttle problems

78 swinger

Recruit
Hi there, I'm new to the forum glad to be here. We have a 1978 Glastron swinger with a newer 1986 mercury 115 outboard on it with the quicksilver throttle controls. The neutral button froze up on us which makes cold starting almost impossible. We disassembled the control unit completely, what a mess of stuff in there. Still could not get to the inside of the neutral button area and free it up. My question is can we switch out the controls with a mercontrol two lever unit. We got one real cheap and the cables match up etc. So we hooked up the cables and got her running. Seems as though everything is a*%backwords. What lever is for what? I read that you have to put the unit together with the idle lever forward. Just can't seem to figure out which lever does what. So any advice would be great.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercury quicksilver throttle problems

Hi there, I'm new to the forum glad to be here. We have a 1978 Glastron swinger with a newer 1986 mercury 115 outboard on it with the quicksilver throttle controls. The neutral button froze up on us which makes cold starting almost impossible. We disassembled the control unit completely, what a mess of stuff in there. Still could not get to the inside of the neutral button area and free it up. My question is can we switch out the controls with a mercontrol two lever unit. We got one real cheap and the cables match up etc. So we hooked up the cables and got her running. Seems as though everything is a*%backwords. What lever is for what? I read that you have to put the unit together with the idle lever forward. Just can't seem to figure out which lever does what. So any advice would be great.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Got any pictures of the controller yer tryin' to install,..??