1987 Mariner 100hp no spark

bojangles9717

Recruit
Ok, long time reader, first time poster. I recently added a 2nd boat to my fleet of toys, my uncles old 1988 Lund Tyee 5.3. (I will post pictures later in a new post showing both my boats) The boat coming from Vermont, myself in Mass, it had been winterized and stored in his garage for the winter. My friend and I are co-owners of the boat and we bought it this past week. We started it on monday this week with no problems what so ever, aside from a battery in need of replacement. We went to start it again on Tuesday to no avail... I have done a little bit of research and found that the stator could be bad, 1,000,000 to 1 chance that all four coils are bad, or possible voltage regulator? I have not yet gotten a manual for the motor though I am stopping on the way home from work today to get one. I guess up until now I haven't really asked a question have I... What I'm curious to know is if I'm right in guessing at one of those things listed being bad, and if there is an easy way of testing to see what to replace. Also what wires are supposed to go to the motor from the battery. I always thought it was only the larger diameter power and ground wires off the harness direct to the motor itself.