1985 150hp black max no tell-tale need help

I'mforgiven

Recruit
Bought this boat back in Sept., test drove run good, good telltale stream. Next time out, went out low idle, low water level and may have hit a sand bar, by the time we got back to the ramp, the engine was giving off black smoke, best I could tell and running rough. Took it out the next day,this time put it in the water and while I was moving the truck my friend took it out for 100 yd circle, came back to get me, move to let me drive, put in gear and died. Wouldn't turn over, loaded it back up went home. Found the 20 amp fuse blown for the starting circiut?
The boat is a 1985 Stratos with a 150 hp Black Max, don't have the s/n right now will add to post.
I need help with this, just learing about boat engines any help will be greatly appreciated

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: 1985 150hp black max no tell-tale need help

No tell tale and your still ran it? The black smoke incident wasn't good. It would have been smart to have torn it down this winter but that's hindsight now. Sounds like the impeller got ate up by the sand which is typical. At this point it may need more than just a water pump rebuild. Your first step will be to do a plug check looking for aluminum deposits on the plugs and then a compession test. It'll probably turn over when it's cold.

metor99

Seaman

WoW black smoke your motor might be toast. No buzzer went off if not i would also find out y not to repeat the damage again. Usually hitting a sand bar will not wipe out a pump unless you try to blow your way off it for hours. more damage is done to your propeller. I live by the rule " NO Pump NO Go " But that is behind you now like sschefer said. Hope for the Best Save money for the Worst.

I'mforgiven

Recruit

Sorry for the broken post. No, it did have a tell tale when we took it out the first time after we bought it, that is when the black smoke happened, but it was dark and did not have a good light. Yesterday, I put in in a barrel, repaired the blown fuse, started it low idle, thats noticed no tell tale. Shut it off, disconnect the hose at the 90 degree fitting coming out of the housing. No water, but looked to be exhaust fumes.
Where the best place to start to determine what is wrong.

BonairII

Commander

No pee stream means check the telltale for an obstuction in the hose or fittings. Then pull the lower unit and check the impeller . If it looks good then make sure impeller key is intact. If that's ok, then run a garden hose in the intake pipe and see if water comes out the telltale.

Check intake screens to see if they're clogged with debris. Run water into the screens and see if water is filling the water pump housing.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yesterday, I put in in a barrel, repaired the blown fuse, started it low idle, thats noticed no tell tale. Shut it off, disconnect the hose at the 90 degree fitting coming out of the housing. No water, but looked to be exhaust fumes.
Where the best place to start to determine what is wrong.
Im confused...was it in a barrel or on the hose(muffs)??You ask where to start.I would say read post #2 again for a LARGE clue.
Your possibly blocked up with sand which can catch at many areas in cooling system including at Tstats.Not to mention shredding your impeller.I would drop the leg and flush everything.You have a great engine....dont kill it.