Driveshaft turns by hand in forward and makes a clicking sound.

Zq8 Blazer

Seaman Apprentice
Took the boat out and ended up loading it on the trailer with the trolling motor :mad:

When I put the boat in gear it moves forward VERY SLOWLY. When I put it into reverse it seems to go into gear.

When I got home I took the prop off and noticed that I could turn the splined part inside the prop with my finger, it takes a little pressure, but I can do it. Is this normal?

Here's a video of what it does in Reverse which is normal:
[video]http://s1176.photobucket.com/albums/x339/zq8blazer/?action=view&current=IMG_0485.mp4[/video]

And here's one of it in forward:
[video]http://s1176.photobucket.com/albums/x339/zq8blazer/?action=view&current=IMG_0486.mp4[/video]

Does it seem like it's not going into gear all the way or is there something BAD wrong?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Driveshaft turns by hand in forward and makes a clicking sound.

The clicking is normal when you override a dog clutch, Blazer.

The behavior of your engine is not normal, no matter what engine it is. You are not making power with all cylinders.

It would help us a lot if you would tell us the make and model.

EDIT: After rereading your post and getting more info I think you have a spun prop.

Zq8 Blazer

Seaman Apprentice

The clicking is normal when you override a dog cllutch, Blazer.

The behavior of your engine is not normal, no matter what engine it is. You are not making power with all cylinders.

It would help us a lot if you would tell us the make and model.

Thanks. The model is 1060726 MERCURY 1986 60 hp

The engine SOUNDS like it's running fine. Could it just be a spun hub? The prop also spins by itself in either way when it's in gear.

Willyclay

Captain

When I got home I took the prop off and noticed that I could turn the splined part inside the prop with my finger, it takes a little pressure, but I can do it. Is this normal?

Not normal for any prop that I have ever seen. Sounds like a spun hub to me. Good luck!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

My vote is a bad prop hub also...

Zq8 Blazer

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a lot guys, that was the problem! I took it out today and execpt for a couple minor things the motor runs great!

Willyclay

Captain

Thanks for letting us know. Glad it was simple.