1986 60hp has no tilt lock.

Zq8 Blazer

Seaman Apprentice
I'm finally about finished with this motor. It has power trim and I just noticed there is no tilt lock on it. There are two levers on both sides that are connected to each other by a hollow shaft with two cotter pins in it. Below I have two pictures of what they look like when flipped up and down. They're mounted on the motor side of the bracket so I don't know what they're for because they can't keep the motor from going down. Am I missing a part???

download-1.jpg

download2.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1986 60hp has no tilt lock.

I think that is your reverse lock which is disabled with PTT. The tilt lock is an "L" shaped plate on the port side of the clamp & swivel bracket. That's how my Merc is, although it is older.

What is the serial no.?

Zq8 Blazer

Seaman Apprentice

I think that is your reverse lock which is disabled with PTT. The tilt lock is an "L" shaped plate on the port side of the clamp & swivel bracket. That's how my Merc is, although it is older.

What is the serial no.?

I don't have that plate.

The serial # is A923834

Zq8 Blazer

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah that's mine and I know, but I can't figure out what it does either. BTW, #14 is the same thing as pictured above.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

That is the half tilt lock... you should be able to flip them down and trim down motor and the will rest on the outside clamp brackets...

Zq8 Blazer

Seaman Apprentice

That is the half tilt lock... you should be able to flip them down and trim down motor and the will rest on the outside clamp brackets...

When I flip them down and trim the motor down they just move themselves back up again.