Mariner 75 flooding

jcvillman

Recruit
I have a 93 Mariner 75 that has been running great until the other day it would not start. It smells like gas so I think it's flooding. I thought it may be the enrichner valve so I just plugged the hoses. I can get it to start is by slightly opening the butterfly valves. It starts and sounds good but when I let them back down it dies. Please help with any advise.

Thanks

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Mariner 75 flooding

What is your engine s/n?

Do you hear the enricher clicking with the power on and pushing on the key?

Gerry

jcvillman

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. The sn is OC266723. Yes I do hear a click at the enricher when I press the key in. It squirts fuel when pressed and stops when not pressed. no leaks.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Did you try a start with just the manual button pressed on the enricher?

When pressing the key in for enricher operation, do you see any leaks from the enricher to the carbs?

Do you have the manuals and if so have you eliminated the checks in there?

Gerry

jcvillman

Recruit

I have tried pressing the enricher button but it is not starting unless I give it more air by opening up the butterfly valves at the carbs. It burns off excess fuel then smooths out as long as I hold the valves open slightly. When I let them down it dies like it is not getting enough air. I don't have the manual yet I obviously need one though.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Here is a link to the manual for your engine:

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/TwoStroke/13645_2/cover.pdf

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer

You will see good basic tests under 3 A - Fuel System and Carburetion

Your engine is a model:

7075412SD MARINER 1990 75

Parts Lisitng:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/553.cfm

Gerry

jcvillman

Recruit

Gerry, you are awesome! Thank you thank you thank you. Followed the trouble shooting in the manual and it runs better than ever. I had an idle screw out of adjustments. Blew the carbs out with compressed air. My 3yr old son will finally be content- off to the lake:)

carholme

Rear Admiral

Good for you, you are the one that did it!

Glad to help and see that young fellow get back on the lake.

Gerry