Using stock tank to flush 2008 Merc 30HP 4 Stroke EFI

dwhite1031

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have access to a clean, structural foam 100 gallon "stock tank" that measures 31"W x 53"L x 25"D. This would completely submerse the circulation ports on my 2008 Mercury 30 HP 4-stroke EFI outboard.

We are on water restrictions out here and can ony use a water hose on a designated day of the week between the hours of 6pm and midnite, so I risk being reported for nuisance water and fined by the city compliance gestapo, if I use my flushing ears.

I was curious if I filled this tank and ran my outboard in it at idle, will it suffice in order to flush it and also (after I change the fluids, filters, & plugs) to run a gallon of fuel with QuickClean thru it. I can then pull the plug on the tank and let the water into the backyard on my designated watering day after 6pm in the spirit of saving my trees and complying with the city rules.....

I'm just concerned if that will be enough water to maintain circulation and not harm my Merc.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant
Re: Using stock tank to flush 2008 Merc 30HP 4 Stroke EFI

Only issue I see is that you'd be discharging an ever hotter water into your flush tank (as you run it in the closed environment)....hmmm

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Dwhite,
That is pretty big tank. There are some very strong 55gal. poly barrels that you pick up for not too much. You must be carful because some have very bad chemicals in them so you have to do research on what was in them. I cut out 2/3's of the top so that the prop doesn't empty it out as you rev your motor. It rolls and can be stored anywhere. The temp rise will be very little for tunning and such, but 2cycles
do push alot of oil into the water. A leaky fuel connector or lower unit is another source for contamination. If you hold the same water for many tests the contamination could start to attack your pump impeller and seals. This works great for me because I have a 4 stroke, and I am in salt water many times a season.

dwhite1031

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies! Star, 4 stroke here too, Merc 30HP EFI

dwhite1031

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update: Stock tank worked great! Was able to run outboard on the boat. Just raised it via the power trim, pushed the trailer back to the tank, and lowered the outboard right in there. Thanks for the replies!