rebuilt vs remanufactured powerheads? among other questions (Mercury Optimax 225 )

I?m struggling tonight after finding out my motor needs rebuilding. I was out on the water this weekend when my engine shutdown with no warning or indication of any issues. Anyway it wound up being a rod/piston in the 6th cylinder. The dealer (Airport Marine Birmingham, AL) states the only code they got back was some type of gas or air mixture code?. I couldn?t fully take in what he said after I found out it was blown motor.

I purchased the boat last year, it is a 2003 Mercury Optimax with on 93hours on it, It had 67 hours on it at the time of purchase. It was very clean, passed all the compression test and was extremely clean and ran smooth and strong. There was no indication of abuse and seems to have been serviced or maintained extremely well.

My question for the board is a little guidance on making my next decision a good one.

I was told the head was repairable, but the extent of the damage wouldn?t be known fully until they get it completely broke down, and the estimate for repair would be between $5000 and $7000 for rebuilding my current head. The other option was a re-manufactured head from Mercury for $6800, plus labor (about $1500)

My questions:

1. Other than knowing the price upfront and a 1 year warrant versus a 90 warranty (rebuilt) what are the advantages and disadvantages of the two (rebuilt vs re-manufactured? Which are basically the same, I guess?
2. I only have a basic knowledge of Marine engines, are there any specific questions I need to be asking?

I guess one of the biggest concerns I have is spending this money and no current definitive answer on what caused the issue in the first place?.I spent $17k on this board last July, now looking to spend another $5-8k and worried I will be in the same boat next year unless I can get to the root of the cause.

Any help, thoughts, concerns?would be appreciated.

2003 Triton SF21 w/225 Mercury Optimax

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: rebuilt vs remanufactured powerheads? among other questions (Mercury Optimax 225

Go with the Mercury Reman as on some powerheads you can purchase a warranty extension...make sure the air and fuel injectors are tested and cleaned as if its a bad injector it will happen again..

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: rebuilt vs remanufactured powerheads? among other questions (Mercury Optimax 225

A brand new engine with 5 year warrantee is only about $13K. Your dealer or Mercury might help to get a much better deal, especially considering the low hours?

Or a cheaper new engine?

Regards

Dave

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Go with the Mercury Reman as on some powerheads you can purchase a warranty extension...make sure the air and fuel injectors are tested and cleaned as if its a bad injector it will happen again..

I think what Fatz is referring to is your comment regarding the "gas or air mixture code". This could be indicative of a clogged injector which could have restricted fuel flow to the cylinder resulting in a lean fuel condition...if unresolved, would likely happen again. Make sure that you have the entire fuel system verified as part of your process going forward...no more boom-boom for you;)

1FASTLASER

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Merc reman and send injectors to Tony Brucato for complete service would be ur best bet with the xtended warranty

alfa

Seaman Apprentice

If I'm not mistaking the lower cylinders - starboard or port side are the first to go if there is lean condition. I would definitely service the injectors and make sure fuel and oil flow and mix as they should.

You can crack open the powerhead yourself - get the service manual and a few things (bags and tags, powerhead lifting gizmo) and you can see what's damaged in there over the week-end. Based on that you save money on labor and you can just ask a shop to bore one cylinder or all...than you can put it back together yourself with new pistons and seals, or ask them to do it for you. Again, you'll save money dressing the powerhead back up and go from there. If you strip, disassemble, and reassemble yourself, you'll save major $$. To bore a cylinder is about $30-50 dependent on the place, and rebuilding the whole thing almost like new would cost you under $1000. Add there the cost of injectors serviced ($25 or so per injector) and you can see the savings.

I mean we're talking $1500 vs $8000 here...

alfa

Seaman Apprentice

one more thing - if you really want someone else to do it and you have no time etc. than look on eBay and other places - there are powerheads there for $3k or less... one marina out of MA some place (reputable business) was selling a NEW powerhead for just under $3k a couple of weeks back. You can have your shop install it and still save money.
It'll pay to shop around a bit and be patient.