1996 90hp 3cyl mercury ticking noise

jobarb

Cadet
My 1996 90 hp 3cyl engine is ticking-sounds like a tappet or lifter-I'm aware there are no tappets or lifters-starts right up and runs great-need help to fix ticking sound.
Engine #OG404601
Model #1-090412SN

Thanks
Joseph

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1996 90hp 3cyl mercury ticking noise

This is way to vague to answer...The ticking could be an electrical arc but I have never heard an outboard tick...if it has a bad rod bearing it will knock and you will know it's knocking...you need to be more descriptive in what you are calling a "tick"....

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

...maybe a short video with sound would help ID the sound.....move the camera all around the engine as it's running.

jobarb

Cadet

This is way to vague to answer...The ticking could be an electrical arc but I have never heard an outboard tick...if it has a bad rod bearing it will knock and you will know it's knocking...you need to be more descriptive in what you are calling a "tick"....

here's is the video with the tick sound

jobarb

Cadet

i'm having a problem downloading the video/can you help-i have it on my desk top-i don't understand what url means-i tried to send it as an attachment-no luck

jobarb

Cadet

...maybe a short video with sound would help ID the sound.....move the camera all around the engine as it's running.

here's the sound video of the tick or clack[video]mvi2067avi[/video]