Mercury paint job.

mercuk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

Currently restoring a 1965' 6hp kiekhaefer twin cyl.

For the paint job:

ALL back to bare metal, nice and clean.
50/50 white vinegar and water.
clean with fresh water.

2K (2 pack or 'catalyzed') aircraft grade zinc chromate primer. Cured for 24h

3 coats of mercury phantom black - two thin dusting coats then one final one to give it 'shine'

Heat gunned primer after 20mins and made a MASSIVE difference.

Did the same in betwwen coats on phatom black.

Now its been 24 hours since the last coat of black went on and I can still scratch the surface and put my nail into it to reveal yellow primer.

How long should it be fully cured?! Why can I still scratch it real easy?!! Please, please any help will be much appreciated as Ive spend flippin' hours and hours trying to get this right.
Thanks Marc.

mercuk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury paint job.

100+ views and no suggestions?!! Come on, I really have spends endless hours in trying to get this classic motor to look right. If it's any incentive to anyone out there, you can probably count the number of kiekhaefer 6hp twin's left in the U.K on one hand, if that. Thanks to anyone that does reply.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

It will be a while for the paint to cure, since the paint is solvent dry vs catalyzed.

merc850

Commander

I paint parts all the time with a spray can and have used a heat gun to help speed the hardening, yes it will take awhile. There might be a conflict between the catalyzed primer and the solvent based spray paint that will extend the hardening time.

mercuk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It will be a while for the paint to cure, since the paint is solvent dry vs catalyzed.

Yeah cool, thanks guys. It's got quite tough now but still going to give it a couple more days before I re-assemble.
Promise I will put some photo's up when its all done of the whole rebuild. Think you guys will be quite impressed with it too lol. Going to be a lovely little machine when its all done. Still pretty darn heavy for 6hp motor though, but what a quality well built piece of machinery.

Thanks again guys for the replies.