mariner 40hp mag alarm

lund master

Recruit
Hi I have a 1991 40hp mariner mag. When I was out today on the lake I hit a rock at slow speed. now there is a alarm going off it is a constant alarm. any thing I should look for that I can do myself.

lund master

Recruit
Re: mariner 40hp mag alarm

Hi guys restarted the motor at home . The alarm is still on but at a beep beep beep. Can anyone help?

lund master

Recruit

Yes but it started after I hit the rock. Oil res is 3/4 full

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oil reservoirs have a common problem with the float. The float is a foam block with a magnet glued to the bottom. The magnet triggers low oil switch. The magnet has a tendency to break loose from the foam and sit in the bottom of the tank triggering the alarm. The jolt of the rock could have knocked the magnet loose.

A new oil tank is the only solution since the float can't be removed without cutting open the tank. You can confirm this by disconnecting the wires from the tank. The alarm should stop. Another test you can do is remove the tank and turn it upside down. the magnet will move away and the alarm should stop.

Last edited:

lund master

Recruit

Thanks Joed I unplugged the wire to the tank and the alarm shut off. When I order a new one will it have everything I need or do I need to get something else. Thanks agin:)