merc shifter cable travel distance

trapp

Cadet
i have a guestion that i hope someone can help me with?? i swapped a 40 hp merc to a 65hp merc, and the shifter cable travel is not allowing it to get in gear. forward or reverse.. there's not enough travel distance in the cable. is there any way to adjust it to get more travel?? or do i need a new set of controls??? it goes into gear by hand fine....

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: merc shifter cable travel distance

i have a guestion that i hope someone can help me with?? i swapped a 40 hp merc to a 65hp merc, and the shifter cable travel is not allowing it to get in gear. forward or reverse.. there's not enough travel distance in the cable. is there any way to adjust it to get more travel?? or do i need a new set of controls??? it goes into gear by hand fine....

Nice dude what year 650 is it? I have a '67 that runs great but is a BEAR to get parts for. Can the cable put you into either forward or reverse, or is it no gear at all?

trapp

Cadet

Nice dude what year 650 is it? I have a '67 that runs great but is a BEAR to get parts for. Can the cable put you into either forward or reverse, or is it no gear at all?

it's a 1974. and not it won't go into either gear

sutor623

Rear Admiral

it's a 1974. and not it won't go into either gear

Well, you wouldnt need a whole set of controls, maybe just a shift cable. When the motor is OFF, can you throttle up until the carbs are fully open?

trapp

Cadet

Well, you wouldnt need a whole set of controls, maybe just a shift cable. When the motor is OFF, can you throttle up until the carbs are fully open?

wouldn't a longer shifter cable just give me reverse?? i need more travel in both directions.

Bondo

Staff member

wouldn't a longer shifter cable just give me reverse?? i need more travel in both directions.

Ayuh,.... Usually there's several sets of holes in the controller to very the shift throw distance...

trapp

Cadet

i pulled the controller apart and didn't see any adjustment in there.. i guess i'll look again. thanks

sutor623

Rear Admiral

i pulled the controller apart and didn't see any adjustment in there.. i guess i'll look again. thanks

Do you have the MerControl box, or the Commander? (Commander has push key choke)

trapp

Cadet

turns out it was the lower end. replaced it and now it's fine. thanks anyways guys..

trapp

Cadet

no had to go find one. found a boat motor and trailer for $200 . motor had a blown piston..the guy was going to scrap it.. lucky for me he didn't...

sutor623

Rear Admiral

no had to go find one. found a boat motor and trailer for $200 . motor had a blown piston..the guy was going to scrap it.. lucky for me he didn't...

Sweet dude, sounds like fortune was singing your tune!