Stator and timing belt issues 650 Mercury

sutor623

Rear Admiral
I figured that Id change the timing belt on my 1967 Merc 65hp because I have pretty much changed everything that the motor could have changed maintenance-wise. Anyways I have two questions. Is this wear normal? And how does this stator look to you guys.
P3191018.jpg

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Stator and timing belt issues 650 Mercury

You can see the belt wear. I am wondering if this is normal? The shaft on the distributor does not have any play in it, so I would guess that these are the normal signs of a wearing belt. Also what do you think about the teeth, on it. Some say wait til it breaks, but I like to fix things before they strand me out on the water.
P3191017.jpg

sutor623

Rear Admiral

And lastly, I cannot find the stator spec for continuity and/or resistance in my Seloc manual. Does anyone have any idea what they are for a '67 650? Here are some pics. Also, there are only two lead wires off of the stator, and there is continuity between them both. Is this normal?
P3191014.jpg
P3191012.jpg

merc850

Commander

The resistance should be .35-.45 ohms on the leads and infinite ohms between the leads and engine block.
It looks like the insulation is burned off on two poles so I wouldn't trust the stator to not short out in the future; might as well replace that timing belt while you have it exposed.
The metal filings could be from flywheel wobble, are there scrape marks on the flywheel and how is the upper bearing?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

The resistance should be .35-.45 ohms on the leads and infinite ohms between the leads and engine block.
It looks like the insulation is burned off on two poles so I wouldn't trust the stator to not short out in the future; might as well replace that timing belt while you have it exposed.
The metal filings could be from flywheel wobble, are there scrape marks on the flywheel and how is the upper bearing?

There is not play in the flywheel or in the dizzy shaft. They are actually just rubber filings and not metal. Is this still cool? What would I look for as far as stator failure in the future? And yes I agree, I will definately change the timing belt.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Okay so thanks a bunch for the specs Merc. Should've known someone with my motors big brother would know this. Anyway, I checked the specs and the Ohhmeter is giving me .4ohms so she checked out!! Anything I can do to ensure the life of the stator? Can I coat the wire with some paint on insulation or is that a bad idea? I have noticed that some model stators do that, but I dont know if each strand is insulated or the whole bunch... :(

Oh and Merc, one more thing. When I was adjusting my idle needles on the carbs, you know how you have to slide the screwdriver through the front plate to get to them? There was a spark from the front panel through the screwdriver to the carbs. I guess something is trying to ground out through that path. Does that sound like the stator is in fact sending a charge to the block? Thanks a lot man!