Wiring problems With mariner 1980 and a yamaha 703 control

pinarro

Recruit
Hi there!

I was thinking of changing some of the wiring in my boat and came across the wiring the previous owner made to connect the engine to the contolbox. The engine is a mariner 40 hp 1980 (made in japan) and the control is a yamaha 703.

Some cables was not connected and I do not know what they do. The harness coming from the contoler has 10 wires and the harness from the engine has 7 wires. But only 5 of them are connnected. The engine runs but what do the other cables do? It does not have trim.

Besides the 10 wire harness there are a cable with 4 wires coming from the controller aswell. What could this be?

The wires are as follows:

from the controller:
Red
Black
Brown
Greedn
White
Blue
Yellow
Pink
Light blue
Light green

And the 4 wire harness from the controller:
Black
Red
Yellow
Green

From the engine:
Black
Red
Brown
Blue
White
Green
Pink

Besides that i do not think the throttle level really works (the idle control). Maybe this has someting to do witk the wiring.
The images maybe explains it a bit better.

Thank you very much for any help.

//Fredrik

Attachments

• IMAG1085.jpg
    IMAG1085.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1082.jpg
    IMAG1082.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 0

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Wiring problems With mariner 1980 and a yamaha 703 control

the 4 wire harness sounds like it is for tilt and trim. yamaha and merc have different wiring and key switches, but I guess someone who knew which wires were what could make it work, sounds like that is what happened to yours. We call it red neck rigging.

pinarro

Recruit

Hi there
Thanks for the help.
My Mariner is made in japan. o the colour codes for mercury is not the same. Correct me if I am wrong.
Does tthe yamaha codes apply to my mariner since it was built by yamaha?

If you look at the wiring from my control. the light blue (or skye blue) is hooked up with the blue from my engine. Should I change the connections to blue-blue? I thing the otehr cables perhaps has someting to do with the trim?

Could the 4 wire harness be to the Tachometer?

//Fredrik

SparkieBoat

Captain

tach only uses 3 wires with only one wire coming from engine. 4 wire looks like tilt and trim harness.

pinarro

Recruit

Thanks a lot for the input.
I have checked the wiring diagram for the 703 and yamaha. I think I am geting a clue to what the wires goes to.

It seems to me that the Sky blue an Light green controls the power tilt. So these cables I should skip for my engine. However the owner before med has the sky blue cable connected to the blue wire from my motor. And not the blue cable from the control. According to the diagram the blue cable should lead to the Choke solenoid. I do not know what this is but should I change to blue-blue.
The Pink cable goes to the Thermo switch and the green goes to the lighting coil. Should I connect these cables. The motor is running so I do not know the difference. And then I have the yellow cable from teh controller that should connect to the control unit and oil level lamp. I do not have a yellow cable from my engine and I don not have a separate oil tank either. I think this was removed..

//Fredrik

pinarro

Recruit

By the way.

The 4 cables from the controller does not match the colour from the diagram.
My cables are green, red, yellow and black

The diagram has 5 cables going to the trim meter and tachometer that are:
Black, Green, Yellow, Pink and Black again. No red cable?

Still no clue what these cables are.

//Fredrik