1981 mercury 9.8 problem????

travis46815

Cadet
I have an '81 Mercury 9.8. I just replaced the water pump after the old impeller went, and am not getting the steady flow that i think i should have from the tell tale. anyone have any suggestions? i checked the lines while the lower was off by squirting water through them and they seemed clear. I put up a video on youtube so you can see what exactly is happening. It can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is2lAyEWFp4&feature=youtu.be . I appreciate any feedback.

also, i ran the motor for over a half an hour and the water was warm but not really hot, and the motor was not hot. maybe it is ok?

travis46815

Cadet
Re: 1981 mercury 9.8 problem????

well i did some tinkering, and disregard the original post. After pulling the plug wires while the motor was running, i came to find that the top cylinder isn't running. So now i have another question. i checked for spark at that cylinder, and it looks to be getting spark. the plug is wet with fuel. is it possible that it is not getting enough spark? How much of an arc should be enough? i went and got a spark tester today, but havent had time to find out exactly whats going on yet. Im also going to swap coils and see if the problem switches cylinders. I know there is a lot on here and i searched and found alot, but nothing on this particular motor. any help is appreciated.