1980 70hp mercury will not rev over 2000 rpms ????

epitman2

Recruit
Hello,
I have a 1980 mercury 70hp 3 cylinder 2 carb outboard that I got last year. I am not a big fan of mercurys and I have owned alot of omc engines so therefore I wanted to learn mercury (give them a chance). The outboard was on a bass tracker now its on my lone star runabout. I installed it and it ran GREAT no problems about 26-28 mph with a 13p prop speed was not a problem. One camping trip I was out and it would not crank I killed the battery so I got a new battery right. No wrong, 2 more times being stranded got me searching for a answer cause when it did crank up and run it ran just like always. Well my searching and troubleshooting showed me that the stator was bad on the low side. I bought a new stator and installed it and wooo hoo it cranks up great. Choke once then turn the key and it fires. Problem solved mmmmmm no I took it to the lake and we were ready to ride easing down the throttle then blah 2000 rpm and thats it back it off and try again same thing. Three new plugs and some sea foam in the gas no change. So I am searching again and I find its the voltage regulator so I get a new one. Yesterday I gas it up and go fishing and excited that my problem is fixed but nope I ease down on the throttle and blah 2000 rpms and 14mph. What could it be I use this boat quite often so setting and gas going bad shouldnt be the problem and it cranks up way too easy. The compression is 120 top 124 middle 121 bottom it has a new cdi stator and voltage regulator. Please help me I really want to keep this outboard and give it a chance. Thanks for reading this long post!!!

PLEASE HELP