mercury 30hp 4T 2010 bigfoot noise problem fixed but can't reinstall lower unit

sarantis

Chief Petty Officer
Hello everybody,
My Mercury with only 180 hours on it some time ago started a noise something like a shot bearing mostly recognised at idle rpm.When i took the boat out and run the engine on muffs the noise was much louder almost sure that something was broken at the height above the lower unit.I took the lower unit off and i found the plate below the exhaust tube broken(http://www.**********/parts/search/Merc/Mercury/2010/1E30453KZ/DRIVESHAFT HOUSING/parts.html).I can't imagine why this thing broke down.Anyway ,trying to reinstall the lower unit i had a problem.Although i took care of the splines of the driveshaft and the gear shaft and the waterpump tube the lower unit didn't go all the way in(about half an inch stayed out). I tried also without the white plastic bushing of the gearshaft in case this was the problem but again nothing.
My reinstallation efforts were at neutral gear.Do you have anything to suggest before i try with forward gear as i did with mercruiser A1?

sarantis

Chief Petty Officer
Re: mercury 30hp 4T 2010 bigfoot noise problem fixed but can't reinstall lower unit

Sorry the link didn't work, this is the broken plate

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 0

sarantis

Chief Petty Officer
Re: mercury 30hp 4T 2010 bigfoot noise problem fixed but can't reinstall lower unit

Reinstallation done.Just put forward gear fully front ,turned the gear shaft at the lower unit by hand aligned the driveshaft turning a litle the propeler by hand counter clockwise and everything fited fine. Exactly as i did in mercruiser A1. Important rule i found at the sticky service manuals : with the gear front if you turn the propeler clockwise it jumps and ccw steady resistance,in neutral both directions turns freely and with the reverse gear cw steady resistance and ccw again steady resistance. My greetings!

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Could of left it in neutral and just rotate drive shaft a fraction and it would of slid in.Not easy to do on your own.Check gears all working before you take off....Good Luck.

sarantis

Chief Petty Officer

Could of left it in neutral and just rotate drive shaft a fraction and it would of slid in.Not easy to do on your own.Check gears all working before you take off....Good Luck.
It wasn't the drivesaft the problem .If the drivesaft doesn't align the lower unit stays out about 1 1/2 inches. The obstacle had relation to the gear.Anyway...