Mercury 5 HP 2 Stroke 1995 Year with fuel tank - How to carry

cavecooker

Recruit
Purchased off Ebay 1995 Mercury 5 HP Two Stroke Outboard Motor - How should I carry in my pickup to Canada - 3,000 miles?

This Mercury Outboard Motor has small fuel tank attached on top, but also has external tank plug fittings. When I transport in my vehicle a long way (3,000 miles) DOES IT NEED TO BE EMPITY ON FUEL, AND IF NOT, SHOULD I CLOSE THE FUEL TANK BREATHER VENT ON TOP or would that cause too much pressure to build up in fuel tank due to fuel vapor expanding? Also CAN I LAY IT DOWN OR DOES IT NEED TO BE IN UP-RIGHT DURING LONG DRIVE?

This question is only if you have an openion. This 1995 two-strk. 5 HP Outboard, Ebay seller said, only used at most 4 hours. It proved to look as good once received, as it did on Ebay. Very clean, new looking everywhere, and prop had zero nicks, and only small paint wear on prop, and end of lower foot stem. I paid, with shipping, $550, but then paid $275 to have new water propeller, and carberator needed cleaning. That's total cost of 1995 Mercury 5 HP 2 stroke of $825. Wonder if that's resonable?

Thanks I Boats & you friend!

Mike

crazyhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury 5 HP 2 Stroke 1995 Year with fuel tank - How to carry

i would drain the gas out of it and for the motor it should be fine laying in the back of a truck just as long as your not driving crazy.:)