choke doesn't seem to work on 1985 Mercury 18xd

Poughkeepsie

Cadet
My 1985 mercury 18xd the choke doesn't seem to be working. When cold its hard to start but ever you spray some gas in the spark plugs clyd its starts right up and then starts with one pull. When running you can pull the choke out and it doesn't do nothing but idle up the motor a little. I thought when you pull out the ghoke when running it would try and flood out. Any body have any information,

steely51

Seaman Apprentice
Re: choke doesn't seem to work on 1985 Mercury 18xd

is it electric choke or manual? Look lto see if the butterfly is going shut.

Poughkeepsie

Cadet

Their no butterfly , so maybe eletric. when you pull out the choke it presses down a button on the right side of the carb.

Poughkeepsie

Cadet

The only time i see the butterfly move is when throttleing it up.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is electric.Check Choke solenoid connections are clean and tight.When activated should probably hear a click.Test solenoid with meter.If not working here is your part # 1395-823433 | SOLENOID.

Poughkeepsie

Cadet

Would it be electric choke even tho its manual start ?

Mi duckdown

Commander

I believe that motor is equipped with an enricher/choke. Pull the hood then pull the choke out. you should a little button on the side of the carb. everytime that button is pushed in squirts a small amount of full into the carbs. you may have to push and pull the a feww times.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I believe that motor is equipped with an enricher/choke. Pull the hood then pull the choke out. you should a little button on the side of the carb. everytime that button is pushed in squirts a small amount of full into the carbs. you may have to push and pull the a feww times.
Exactly correct.....

Poughkeepsie

Cadet

Thats exactly what it was , pull and push four or five times and it fired right up......thanks abunch !!!!!

Poughkeepsie

Cadet

Just a follow up.....decided to clean out the carb and checked out why the choke has to be pull and push four or five times before it squirt gas into the intake. checked out the primer parts and they looked fine . With the carb unbolted from the intake and gas line pushed back on and pressure on the line , then i push down the primer button and only small amount of gas would come out the hole where it goes into the intake. so i took a small piece of wire and uncloged the hole....BINGO...now when pushing down on the primer button it squirts a big sream of gas. Now with one pull on the choke with the motor cold it fires right up....hope this helps someone else....:)