2002 Mercury Opti 225 HP. Just can't fix it??

Chiefmac

Recruit
I have a 2002 Merc Opti 225 HP. It's having a problem thats driving my mechanic crazy and draining my pocket. The boat starts off running fine but after a while it starts to loose power. Once that happens she tries to go but can't get over 3000 RPMs. If you keep in under 3000 rpms it's ok but still not running strong. My mechanic has spent quite a few hours on it but he's coming up with no results. The latest he believes two coils are bad so we have them on order to replace. ANY THOUGHTS HERE?????

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: 2002 Mercury Opti 225 HP. Just can't fix it??

Need to do some diagnostic testing. It becomes VERY costly just throwing parts on and crossing your fingers.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a compressor problem.....

Chiefmac

Recruit

All the computer testing shows everything is ok. Whats left if the diagnostics aren't pointing to anything?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Acts like a component is beginning to fail once to operating temp, testing MUST BE done while the condition exists.

Since there is NO RETURN on electrical parts, PROVE the fault before allowing anyone to start changing parts that you may not need.

Spark failure is simple to test when the motor is exhibiting symptoms by using either an inductive timing light or inductive tach, test each plug wire.

Fuel pressure and air pressure should be tested both at idle, at RPM, and again when the condition is occuring.

Chiefmac

Recruit

To date my mechanic replaced three coils and has the motor running better. Where it started running bad after a few minutes you couldn't get it over 3200 rpms. Now she's running better then it was. The problem is still there but the moter will run upto 4200 rps and then start running poor again. My mechanic things it could be a rubber seal on the last gas pump before the motor?? More to follow.

Chiefmac

Recruit
Re: 2002 Mercury Opti 225 HP. Just can't fix it?? NOW RUNNING LIKE NEW!

Re: 2002 Mercury Opti 225 HP. Just can't fix it?? NOW RUNNING LIKE NEW!

OK, their was more then one issue creating the trouble. As I said prior their were some electrical troubles with a coil but on top of that the fuel rail was a mess from our friend ethanol. The fuel rails were loaded with crap as well as the injectors and fuel pumps. One fuel injector was totally blocked at times. After cleaning all injectors,fuel rails, fuel pumps, X3, two new coils, 6 plugs the motor now runs as it did the day it left the factory!

I hope this helps another boater in the future.
ethanol sucks!