50 hp starter

nitroboat

Recruit
my starter on 90 model quit engaging if you tape on it it will engage checked connections all tight does this sound like brushes or other problems battery checked ok thanks for any help

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 50 hp starter

my starter on 90 model quit engaging if you tape on it it will engage checked connections all tight does this sound like brushes or other problems battery checked ok thanks for any help

Did you try it with a different battery? Only saying this because tons of people on here neglect that simple test.

nitroboat

Recruit
50 hp starter

50 hp starter

my starter on my 90 model mercury quit working unless you tape on it then it will engage checked connectins and cleaned them checked battery its hot does this sound like brushes or something else thanks for any help

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You need to tap on it,then it's time for a rebuild or new.
Once you start beating on them it's time for a new one.
You can loosen the magnets.
This site sells starters.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

You will need to look inside that starter, either the brushes have worn or the brush holder has corroded to the point that the brushes are hanging and not free to slide in against the commutator.

You may get lucky and just need a new set of brushes, lightly sand the commutator and add a drop of oil/grease to the bushings.

Or it may be corroded so bad you need a new brush holder assy

Or you may need to replace the starter.

Until you look, we are all just guessing.