25 Merc bearing carrier assembly ????

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1991, 25 HP Mercury that I am having to replace the prop shaft bearing carrier assembly due to breaking the old one while trying to remove it with a punch- unscrewing it and broke off the "ears' that I was knocking on. In the repair manual, it talks about using "special tools", to set the prop shaft bearing and the seals, and then a "special tool" to screw in the carrier assembly. Can the bearing and seals be installed without the special tools? If so, any advise. I was figuring on driving the bearing in with a punch - similar to what you would do on a wheel bearing- would that work or damage the bearing or seals?

In the past, I have removed the carrier assembly by using a punch to unscrew and screw it back in. Without the "special tool"- that I can't find on the web to purchase- the only other option is to take it to the shop, I guess.

I need some shade tree advise on how to best pull this off on my own without breaking the new parts !!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 25 Merc bearing carrier assembly ????

Can the bearing and seals be installed without the special tools?
Just a bushing driver set and some deep well sockets will get you by.,.....
Without the "special tool"- that I can't find on the web to purchase- the only other option is to take it to the shop, I guess.
You have the special tool...it the prop washer as it has 3 tabs designed to remove carrier and it a right hand thread so watch the arrow on carrier.

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 25 Merc bearing carrier assembly ????

Just a bushing driver set and some deep well sockets will get you by.,.....

You have the special tool...it the prop washer as it has 3 tabs designed to remove carrier and it a right hand thread so watch the arrow on carrier.

Woops I have another question...when I put the prop thrust washer on- the one with the 3 prongs- it is splined and I can't get a wrench on it to turn it cos it is inside the hub. Also, how is it supposed to turn the carrier assembly without turning the prop shaft at the same time- since it is splined to the prop shaft? I may be a little slow, but it looks like it has to not be on the shaft to tighten down the carrier assembly. Am I missing something?