1998 Mercury 75 hp 2 stroke

madeyez

Recruit
Hello

I have a 1998 75hp Merc. 2 stroke tiller on a 18ft Alumacraft I just purchased. Having motor troubles on the maiden voyage:facepalm: It starts fine and sometimes idles rough and other times idles fine, but when throttle is applied she seems to drop a cylinder fairly quick and after about 1 minute at 3/4 or more throttle she drops a 2nd cylinder and im running on One (it is a 3 cylinder motor). It will then continue to jump back and forth between one and 2 cylinders but the 3rd cylinder will not fire at all over 1/3 throttle. I replaced the plugs and ran some sea foam through the tank which seemed to help for about 1 minute at idle speeds but as soon as I put it in gear and gave it some gas the problem proceeded to continue right away. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Cant seem to figure out if this would be a fuel or electrical issue. Thanks.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 1998 Mercury 75 hp 2 stroke

Hello

I have a 1998 75hp Merc. 2 stroke tiller on a 18ft Alumacraft I just purchased. Having motor troubles on the maiden voyage:facepalm: It starts fine and sometimes idles rough and other times idles fine, but when throttle is applied she seems to drop a cylinder fairly quick and after about 1 minute at 3/4 or more throttle she drops a 2nd cylinder and im running on One (it is a 3 cylinder motor). It will then continue to jump back and forth between one and 2 cylinders but the 3rd cylinder will not fire at all over 1/3 throttle. I replaced the plugs and ran some sea foam through the tank which seemed to help for about 1 minute at idle speeds but as soon as I put it in gear and gave it some gas the problem proceeded to continue right away. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Cant seem to figure out if this would be a fuel or electrical issue. Thanks.

This will be worth its wait in gold to you. http://www.cdielectronics.com/downloads/troubleshooting%20guide/Mercury%203%20Cylinder.pdf

madeyez

Recruit

Thanks. That is a lot of good information. I just have to get a friend over to help because I am mechanically challenged. Especially in the electrical department. So do you think should I rule out the possibility of a fuel issue?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Thanks. That is a lot of good information. I just have to get a friend over to help because I am mechanically challenged. Especially in the electrical department. So do you think should I rule out the possibility of a fuel issue?

Yes Id be surprised if it were fuel. How many carbs does this thing have? T

madeyez

Recruit

Had my buddy look at it and he said hes 90% sure that it is a switch box issue given the problem and the fact that the plug wires and CDM's were replaced last year. Also he noted that if it were a stator issue it would be a more consistent issue and not be randomly jumping back and forth between cylinders like it is. Does this sound about right to you guys?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Whatever the CDI manual says for symptoms.