1974 9.8 merc.fuel problem

seminol7

Seaman
I have a problem with running out of fuel after 10 to 15 min.pump bulb and fires right back up.could it be the fuel pump?thanks for any help!

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 1974 9.8 merc.fuel problem

I have a problem with running out of fuel after 10 to 15 min.pump bulb and fires right back up.could it be the fuel pump?thanks for any help!

I love these series of motors, just hate working on them. The carbs and fuel pumps sure are in there tight arent they? Are you idling or running at WOT when the motor dies out?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Okay, well then yes I do believe you have to change out your fuel pump diaphragm. While you are at it you may as well clean out and service the carb. I had to change the main fuel input line on mine too so it wouldnt be a bad idea to go ahead and order it. Fiddling with old gas lines is always a lovely way to spend some extra cash.....

sutor623

Rear Admiral

P.S. check the motor for leaks. I know that it is a pain to get the cowling off when the motor is running but you gotta do it. These fuel lines like to crap out because of the stress that is placed on them. Check tank, make sure vent is open, and check main lines. You may simply be pulling in air. Check the easy things first right?

seminol7

Seaman

thanks,i will order a fuel pump kit and go ahead and replace all lines and clean carb! thanks again

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Sure man good luck. Remember check for fuel leaks before you do any of that. Be easy when removing the carb outta there too, she can be a little tight.