'73 Merc 9.8 shows life then dies

scl009

Cadet
Merc 9.8hp SN: 3737944

I completely rewired my 1973 merc 110. Got it running pretty well. Replaced the impeller and cleared out the water passages with compressed air. It ran well two days ago.

Today just for security sakes, I set her up and she started with no problems. Had her in neutral running well, it was peeing well, everything seemed to be working well. I went to work in my garage while it was running in the 55 gallon drum and about 20-30 minutes into it, the motor died. Couldn't get it to start again. Pulled the plugs and NO spark at either plug.

I'll be doing the CDI check tomorrow with the multimeter, but anyone have any clue. I was worried about my rigging of the points, as I had to solder new wires to the insulator blocks for the points, but the connections still looked good, and since they both look good figured I would get at least a spark on one of the plugs. I guessing its the capacitor since spark died at both plugs. I feel like it has to be a common compponent of both circuits, instead of both going out at the same time.

I'm glad I did this though, I rather work on it in my backyard than out on the water.

Scott

scl009

Cadet
Re: '73 Merc 9.8 shows life then dies

So going through my manual, I think I have a bad rectifier. But my manual is a little different than whats on the motor. I have the thunderbolt type II Ignition, but my coils are reversed from what they show. IE my highspeed coil with the blue and yellow wires are switched with the low speed coil with the red and yellow wires. I don't get it, I think the coils have always been in that order and it was running. How would that all of a sudden cause it to stop. Maybe I burnt up the recifier cuase they were switched?

Also I didn't even realize the rectifier was a rectifier, I just thought it was a base for the terminals. Where would I even get a new rectifier? I searched here but didn't see anything.

I'll post some pics in a while

scl009

Cadet

heres the pic

per CDI
High speed coil is 175 ohms- good
Low speed is 4.84K Ohms - A little high
Then I go through the steps
#1 - 560
#2 - 553
#3 - 001
#4 - 561
#5 - 582
#6 - 001 X this is suppose to be 1016 but not sure cause my order of magnitude may be off
#7 - 553

Any help translating this?

Attachments

• rectifier.JPG
    rectifier.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 0

scl009

Cadet

I'm pretty sure its a bad rectifier, can anyone help, I've been searching for hours and can't find a replacement

Part# 336-4516

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Try contacting oldmercs.com or outboardexchange.com and see if one of them has what you need. In the stickys there are several salvage parts sites listed you might try Ebay also.
Hope you find what you need, Oldman570