1995 8hp Mercury 2 stroke stalling issue

jopaped

Cadet
I purchased a 1995 mercury 8 hp as a stronger kicker motor for my boat (I currently use a 2 hp). The 8 hp starts up easily when the choke is on. When the choke is disengaged, the motor will start to run rough and will eventually stall. The engine will stall instantly when I put motor in forward gear. The motor has good spark, water pumps good through the tell tale. I cleaned out the fuel filter already and I am using fresh gas. The guy I purchased the motor from last used the motor about two years ago. I'm thinking about pulling the carb for a good cleaning. Am I heading down the right road? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,
John

Lubosleftboot

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1995 8hp Mercury 2 stroke stalling issue

Yip the carb is gummed up from storage. Strip and clean the carb using carb cleaner from an auto shop if still no dice then get the carb cleaned using ultrasound cleaning technique..this cleans out even the smallest of orifices.

LLB

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Yip the carb is gummed up from storage. Strip and clean the carb using carb cleaner from an auto shop if still no dice then get the carb cleaned using ultrasound cleaning technique..this cleans out even the smallest of orifices.

LLB

Yup, no doubt. I just had the same issue. Never had to use ultrasound to clean her up before though.

jopaped

Cadet

Just want to update everybody on this thread
to complete it. I took the carb off the motor
and disassembled it. There was a lot of dirt
and grim in the carb. I sprayed every hole and port
until it was clean. Now my motor works like
it is brand new! Thanks for everybody's help.