2001 mercury 25hp shift shaft removal

hey guys im workin on a 2001 25 merc serial#ot309382 model#1025201yd....i have the lower unit completly apart to change all seals . but i cant get the shift shaft to release from the bottem the pin is stuck ..and the retainer at the top will not come loose for me .i have the seloc book but it shows nothing that i can find?it seems to be spring loaded aswell???any help would be great thx.(rick)

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 2001 mercury 25hp shift shaft removal

You must free the retainer at the top end of the shift shaft to get the LU to move down.

Here is the Mercury service manual for your engine:

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/TwoStroke/826883r2/cover.pdf

See page 6A-12 para 4 and with the engine tilted up, rotate the retainer.

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

Parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/3236.cfm

Gerry

i have the lu off the moter im try to get to the o rings underthe top of the shift shaft but im not sure how to or if i can pry off the top retainer the the boot goes on...thx

carholme

Rear Admiral

That whole assy should just pull out (6A-18). It is probably the outer O ring which is holding you up.

Gerry

thx ill have to pry the retainer off i do think the o ring is holding it in ..i just needed to be sure..im tring to download the manuale but my system wont do it .... thx again G
erry

carholme

Rear Admiral

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

Do you have Adobe installed as you will not be able to do it if you don't.

Gerry

rstier

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,
I Know this is an ancient thread, but I was wondering what the fix was for this, as I'm having the same issue. Did you just remove the boot, pry the retainer off and pull the shift shaft out to change the seals? I too can't get the retainer off and just pulling the shift shaft doesn't work.
Thanks!

thx ill have to pry the retainer off i do think the o ring is holding it in ..i just needed to be sure..im tring to download the manuale but my system wont do it .... thx again G
erry