Installing Trim Sensor & Gauge, along with hour meter.

Nebrittany

Cadet
I talked with the manufacture till I was blue in the face regarding these subjects.

When I bought my boat new in 2010, with a Merc 60HP EFI ELPT 4S there was "a lot" of things I didn't know at first about owning a boat, but have been learning as time goes on. :facepalm:

One of them was that routine maintenance is scheduled by "hours" instead of miles, something I didn't put much thought into when I first purchased my boat. So I asked both my dealer, and the manufacturer about the possibility of installing an in-dash hour meter for such purposes.

Cause after reading such statements as the following, Many computer controlled engines (EFI/DFI) have a capability in the ECM that records engine hours but it is not displayed unless the appropriate gauge package specific to that engine series is installed. Otherwise, an inexpensive hour meter can be installed. I knew that there are "possibilities. Only to be told, "that there isn't openings in the engines wiring harness to accept an hour meter."

I've also heard the same spiel about installing a trim sensor & gauge on this engine.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Installing Trim Sensor & Gauge, along with hour meter.

go for a motocross hour meter which has a wire which wraps around any of the ht(high tension leads.their available on ebay for about 20/30$ and will fit anywhere in the cowling you wishin about 5 minutes.i have one on every outboard and a marina 15hp as well as my v8.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-LCD-D...37?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item35b97198d1 just a sample.

Nebrittany

Cadet

I suspected that there were "options" based simply on the fact that when I got my service manual in the mail last night. I noticed that on one of the "fuse holders" there is a spare fuse slot that is wired in, while there is two additional fuse slots that are not wired.

carholme

Rear Admiral

What is your serial number? Can then send you the parts list which details the options.

Gerry

Nebrittany

Cadet

What is your serial number? Can then send you the parts list which details the options.

Gerry

My SN is 1C112547

I've tried Merc's website with no prevail, their online manual's are the reason why I purchased a service & parts manual for this engine. And I'm glad I did, even though I haven't read far enough in to the service manual to find anything relating the subject. I've learned of many "critical" factors, when it comes to preventative maintenance and upkeep. That were either stated in a conflicting manner, or not mentioned at all in my owners manual.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Pointless me sending you the parts manual if you already have it. However, if you look under Accessories in the parts manual. notice P/N 821400A 2, which is the trim sender kit .

Gerry

Nebrittany

Cadet

Pointless me sending you the parts manual if you already have it. However, if you look under Accessories in the parts manual. notice P/N 821400A 2, which is the trim sender kit .

Gerry

I know this question is some what asinine, but when I order this kit, will it include the installation instructions?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You do not need an hour meter that has a lead that wraps around a spark plug wire. There are hour meters that need only a +12 volt and ground connection. After all, an hour meter is simply a clock mechanism that accumulates time rather displaying it in 12 hour fashion. The two wires can be connected to "I" (ignition) and ground terminal on any gauge on the console. The hour meter runs when the key is on. Yes -- it will run with the key on and the engine off, but why would you do that since this engine is an EFI motor and ECUs draw a fair amount of power. Get the hour meter right here on IBoats. The trim gauge and sender is also available here on IBoats. All gauge connections again can connect to the same terminals on any other gauge. The "S" sender wire comes from the engine via the engine harness

Nebrittany

Cadet

At this point if I lived anywhere near Fond du Lac, WI I'd be making a personal visit to Mercury after what I just found out.

All this time I've owned my boat, Mercury has been telling me that I don't have the option to install a trim sender because there is no openings in the engine's wiring harness. (Which I could easily debunk)

So under the assumption that I'd have to install the sender kit along with a gauge, I began my quest above. Well after learning everything that has been explained here, (which I've greatly thankful of) I hook the battery up to trim the motor to trailer position, only to see that there has been a trim sender installed all this time. So I crawl up under the console, and sure enough there is the striped brown wire. The manufacture just never installed a trim gauge.
Pro-Team-175-TXW_img9258_900.jpg

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Just install the "Smartcraft" Mercmoniter guage in place of the tach and you will have every thing you need plus extras wand you wont have to cut a hole anywhere!!!!
Features & Functions

Troll Control™
SmartTow™2
Trim Pop-Up
Engine Trim
RPM
Boat Speed
NMEA 2000/J1939
Digital Speed
GPS Speed
GPS Course & Speed
Speed Sensor Fault
Auto Speed Sensor Transition
Oil Level
Oil Temp
Oil Pressure
Low-Oil Warning
Oil System Fault
Fuel Used
Fuel Flow
Fuel Range
Fuel to Waypoint
Water in Fuel Fault3
Sea Temp
Time of Day
Horn Fault
Ignition Fault
Injector Fault
Engine Alarms
Battery Voltage
Water Pressure
Engine Horn
Dot Matrix LCD Display
System Link Range Con

Nebrittany

Cadet

Just install the "Smartcraft" Mercmoniter guage in place of the tach and you will have every thing you need plus extras wand you wont have to cut a hole anywhere!!!!
Features & Functions

Troll Control™
SmartTow™2
Trim Pop-Up
Engine Trim
RPM
Boat Speed
NMEA 2000/J1939
Digital Speed
GPS Speed
GPS Course & Speed
Speed Sensor Fault
Auto Speed Sensor Transition
Oil Level
Oil Temp
Oil Pressure
Low-Oil Warning
Oil System Fault
Fuel Used
Fuel Flow
Fuel Range
Fuel to Waypoint
Water in Fuel Fault3
Sea Temp
Time of Day
Horn Fault
Ignition Fault
Injector Fault
Engine Alarms
Battery Voltage
Water Pressure
Engine Horn
Dot Matrix LCD Display
System Link Range Con

Your reading my mind!!! :)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Engine manufacturers have no idea what boat their engines are mounted on, what gauges if any are installed on that boat, and what the owner actually wants. Thats why these are called "options". In fact, your engine was likely shipped from the factory without a prop since again, they have no idea what boat, what load, the engine will need to push. I and many other personally feel a trim gauge is a useless gauge unless you cannot see the engine. The gauge is merely a reference as to where the engine is currently trimmed. The gauge does not tell you where the best trim position is. Seat of the pants is the best indicator. I would much rather have more useful gauges like water temp, water pressure, fuel, volts, tach and oil pressure if you have a four stroke.

toolman99

Seaman Apprentice

I understand your comment about "seat of the pants" trim setting by feel as I did that for many years on my old boat. But just to clarify, the new mercmonitor does in fact measure. display AND guide you to the ideal trim and rpm settings for max economy, it also can give you a ton of info about what's going on in the engine as well as fuel rate and range to empty