Questions on mounting motor?

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class
This weekend i am picking up a used 75hp Mercury!

Questions:

1) Can i lay the motor on its side in back of my SUV? Does it matter what side?

2) Do you think the bolt pattern will line up to the mercury? The motor on there now is a 2000 50hp johnson, going to a 2002 75hp mercury? If it doesnt mount up should I buy a plate for the back and use the old holes? Or fill the holes and drill more? ( what would you use to fill the holes with?)

3) do you think a motor lift for a car will get the motor high enough to mount on the transom?

thanks

Re: Questions on mounting motor?

I moved my Johnson is this manner, but only for a short distance. Dunno know if it could cause damage so stand by for others.

I doubt the bolt pattern will line up. Plug and redrill. Fill with a PB mixture or if comfortable, 5200. I suppose you could use marine filler--just get all the way through.

You know, I am sure, the remote and cables and wiring will not work from the Johnson.

What's a motor lift for a car? You mean like a garage lift? If so, sure, but it depends on a lot of things I can't see.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

If 2-stroke motor, you can lay on side no problem. If 4-stroke I dunno, I'd guess you'd certainly want to drain all fluids first.

Very doubtful bolt pattern will line up. Plan on it not lining up.

A cherry picker should be able to get your motor mounted onto the transom, so long as you do not have some very strange super-high transom or unusually tall trailer. I would advise getting a proper lifting ring for the Mercury.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Laying it on it's side is fine. Pad the cowling well. Outboards went ot a standard bolt pattern in the late 80s, so bolts may just line up for you. Controls and motor harness in the boat are incompatable. Fuel line and steering are easily modified.

Two guys should be able to swap the motors, as both are no more than 3 cylinder inline motors.

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys..It is a 2 stoke 75hp mercury 300lbs..It comes with all the controls so i will switch them also..I will rent a cherry picker/motor lift!!

Ordered the service manual for Iboats and got it yesterday!! Hopefully everything goes together smooth!!

Wish me luck!!