Need some advice?? Rebuild it or sell it??

durb51

Recruit
Please help me as i am a newbie and need advice re:1987 Bass Tracker 60hp Mercury.First let me tell you im the 3rd owner on this Tracker and its so Clean the Original Pin Stripe is still on the Motor as well as the Orig Paint?OKay i bought this boat a few months ago not knowing how or what to look for as far as Motor Problems but as good as it looked i assumed the motor was good?Well first time out it stalled when trying to put in gear,wasn't peein water like i thought it should and got just a little hot before i decided to have it checked out.I had been given the name of a mobile mechanic the seller said he used a few times so called him and he took his time but finally came and checked the motor out.Told me he had told the previous seller it needed a stator and trigger so installed a stator and said the trigger had a little life left on it.As i said i know nothing as far as outboards go so went with his decision.Well i took the boat out again and it ran in gear but bogged bad so i call the mechanic and he comes over and says it needs a carb job so i said do it for i want to FISH since i bought this boat.He rebuilds the carbs at the lake and runs it and seemed to run real good and motor sounded good to me.So i gear up for my 1st bass fishin trip in a big lake in Central Fl and get their and unload it and darn it but it starts but wont stay runnin?So this time i asked a Bass fishin guy that i saw launch his boat if he new a respectable dealership that did good work and he gave me a number and i took it to them.Well this is what he came up with?the stator is new but the trigger and elect board were original and needed replaced so i said go ahead and fix it.Another $600.00 and he said it had good compression in all cyl but top cyl was about 10 pds lower.I paid him and next day im out on the lake and its runnin Great!!The other day im out on the lake and its missin a bit and then started but cuts off.I again go back to the dealer that fixed it and he checked the spark,timing,carbs,and compression.Now the bad news?Top cyl compression has dropped to 85 pds other 2 are still up there.He told me its not good and it may last a day,week,or come apart destroying the motor.Now like i said at the beggining this boat is very clean for 24 years old but is it worth having this 60hp mercury rebuilt? There price would be $2500.00 and thats all new parts,waterpump,carb job,and all other internal parts.He said no used parts would be used.I no nothing about Motors and don't know if i should invest this much in it??Please give me your advice as if im better to try and sell it now or invest the money in it and have about $4000 in it since buying it.

Re: Need some advice?? Rebuild it or sell it??

If it's a TX? Pro 17? Pro 17? 1710?

Model of boat makes a difference. The boat (only), depending on the model but let's say it's a 17, is worth about $1500 if in really good condition. Personally, I wouldn't pay more the $1,000 without a motor. That said, if the boat is in great condition and only the motor is a problem...no leaks, no dents, no transom work, etc., I would consider replacing the motor and not rebuilding. I just bought a 2001 70HP Johnson, really clean for about $1000. If you already have $4,000 into it...well...that's a lot of money. I wouldn't put another $2500 in a rebuild...other opinions may argue the point. Without a motor you are not going to get jack if you try to sell. Bottom line, FWIW... shop for a good motor, have it checked thoroughly, and keep the boat.

durb51

Recruit

okay.Got that.Thank you for the info.I guess even with a bad cyl someone might buy it??Thanks
If it's a TX? Pro 17? Pro 17? 1710?

Model of boat makes a difference. The boat (only), depending on the model but let's say it's a 17, is worth about $1500 if in really good condition. Personally, I wouldn't pay more the $1,000 without a motor. That said, if the boat is in great condition and only the motor is a problem...no leaks, no dents, no transom work, etc., I would consider replacing the motor and not rebuilding. I just bought a 2001 70HP Johnson, really clean for about $1000. If you already have $4,000 into it...well...that's a lot of money. I wouldn't put another $2500 in a rebuild...other opinions may argue the point. Without a motor you are not going to get jack if you try to sell. Bottom line, FWIW... shop for a good motor, have it checked thoroughly, and keep the boat.

shurt

Seaman Apprentice

Durb 51.
I also took on a tracker (00 pro deep v 17) project for this winter. Same situation, Mint looking boat (paint / decals) at a great price. Any used boat I have purchased is never done without a compression test on all cylinders of O/B. You can pick up a compression tester fairly cheap at auto parts stores. The value of most Tin boats i have seen is the O/B. When insuring mine, Boat was insured at $3000.00, O/B (90 hp Force by Merc. Marine) insured at $8500.00 (Insurance Co. #s). I bought this boat being aware of hull damage(thus great price), and am currently in process of hull repair. Got floor and frame out and will soon begin re-bracing and riviting structural support members. You know what they say BOAT stands for? Bust Out Another Thousand...Not sure where you are from, although up here in MI. you should be able to come up with a quality replacement O/B for a reasonable price. Less than you would pay to repair old one. Be patient and take your time looking...And Definately do a compresssion test on All cylinders...Good luck my friend..

An added comment. My old Johnson's compression testing showed 120 in every cylinder. The dang thing ran like a scalded dog. When the timing base went out, I figured it would be worth replacement. Done deal. Had the boat for another six months and the cylinder wall slipped (mechanic checked). So...ya never know, even with great compression.

Boy! Did that please the wife, or what!

Still...I think the BT is a fine boat for the price so I would keep the one ya got and be patient for a motor. It will come.

Hey durb - Here is a 60hp Merc for 950

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/2817717606.html

just to give you an idea of pricing. Dunno where you are, but craigslist is everywhere. Yours, being broke, won't be worth a lot but I am guessing about $400 give or take? I don't work with motors so I am no expert on what they are worth in the condition of yours, but I would think...at least $300.

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

could always gamble and pick up a power head off cl? i just bought a motor for 100.00 but the motor needed some work. compression was good so we are going to fix the motor up.
as for your situation i would be looking for a motor. i dont think i would rebuild it. you could try yourself, but it will still require some effort. on one hand what do you have to loose tearing apart the 60. as for resell, you could dump the motor off on cl, but would think the motor isnt worth more than 200.00
if your parting out the motor i could use a few items :)

dino