95 opi max mercury 115 hp neutral problem

rwrcrappie

Cadet
wont stay running in neutral.i start it in high idle then i have to lower the idle and throw it in gear at the same time.then it runs in gear.i use my ear muffs in the driveway and it works good in neutral.something happens when its in the water .

rwrcrappie

Cadet
Re: 95 opi max mercury 115 hp neutral problem

my motor doesnt run in neutral.it runs great in gear but when i put it in neutral it dies. it starts in neutral on high idle but soon as i put the the idle down it dies.its a 1995 opi max 115 hp .please help thanks rob

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In the water you have back pressure/resistance.Out of water on muffs you have no pressure/resistance....so your idle runs at approx 200 RPM higher out of water.What is your idle reading in nuetral on the muffs.
Your problem may be as simple as adjusting the idle.I try and adjust to 950rpm on muffs,which gives me around 750rpm in the water.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In the water you have back pressure/resistance.Out of water on muffs you have no pressure/resistance....so your idle runs at approx 200 RPM higher out of water.What is your idle reading in nuetral on the muffs.
Your problem may be as simple as adjusting the idle.I try and adjust to 950rpm on muffs,which gives me around 750rpm in the water.

rwrcrappie

Cadet

im going fishing this week .ill adjust the idle higher and see if that works.ive try to adjust the idle before and it didnt seem like it worked.thanks ill let u know if that works.