1961 mercury 45hp magneto. I need some guidance

Chris Peterson

Recruit
I bought a 1961 Mercury 400E, (Electric Start, Short shaft, 45hp) as part of a package of boating stuff and my curiosity has gotten away with me. I probably should have just thrown it away. Just couldn't do it without looking under the hood first. I'm sure most of you know exactly what I mean...now I'm hooked.

It has good compression 118, 118, 122, 122.. It's a four cylinder.

It has the old magneto system, driven by a timing belt (which has disintegrated) It does have a stator under the flywheel but the stator on this unit is only for charging a battery, it has no function in providing spark. There is no electronic timing box as in the later outboards.

Checking for spark
I was able to drive the shaft of the magneto with a battery operated drill. No spark to the plugs
I removed the magneto, since I'm an old guy and know how a points system works, I thought I could replace the condenser and polish the points.

I can't get the magneto apart at it's split lines. I'm afraid to apply too much force as these things could be brittle and finding another one would be nearly impossible.

Does anyone have detailed instructions on the magneto disassembly and settings? it's a 4D-3 K030.

I will also need detailed instructions on the lower unit for this outboard. Again, this unit is different from later models in that it doesn't have multiple water pick ups along the side of the lower unit. The water pickup is hidden under a grille in the horizontal surface of the cavitation plate above the prop.

I did check the sticky notes at the beginning of this forum and the manuals to which they refer are too new to be of help.

This is a great forum, thanks for your help.
Chris

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1961 mercury 45hp magneto. I need some guidance

Chris;

Here is a link to the condensed version of the Clymer manual which should get the LU off for you. Let the page load for 20/30 seconds. If you want to save it to your computer, click on the button to the left of the printer button and it will let you chose where you want to save it to.

http://web.ebscohost.com/serrc/pdf?...a5c7-ceae4fe3314c@sessionmgr114&vid=4&hid=122

Do you have a s/n for the engine and I'll get you the parts listing.

Gerry

bimmerbit_93

Seaman Apprentice

If you don't mind I'd like to tag onto this post. I am having some mag problems with the same motor as the one above. My ser. #1364002. I tried to go to the website but ebscohost says the site is down. Is there another way to get this condensed version of the Clymer manual?

merc850

Commander

The LU is the same only the waterpickup locaton is different
Here's some info on setting up the mag.kiekhaefer-magneto.jpg