1989 45hp worth fixing?

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
ok i got lazy, and i dropped off my boat to a mechanic. here is the story, condensed. 1986 14 foot bayliner, 50hp force dies due to another marine shop not timing the motor correctly, so i have a piston melt down.

install a 1972 40hp 2 stroke, no spark to the lower plug. compression is 125, 125 cold. no tilt or trim, pretty basic motor.

purchase a unknown 1989 45hp classic 50 (why is this a classic 50 when its only a 45??) off cl for 100.00. guy just wanted it out of the garage. took a compression test and its 115, 115, 115, 115 cold. mechanic tells me that there is no spark and he cant confirm if its the stator or the switch box. i guess the voltage isnt quite right on his dva test, but, thinks its the stator/trigger.

motor has tilt n trim, and it works fine, control works ok too. so is it worth it to get a new stator/trigger and should i bite the bullet and just get a switch box anyways? should i replace the coils as well? what is this motor worth anyways??

i still need to buy a prop too, the one on the motor is pretty chewed up. the lower unit held a 3 pound test so the seals are all good. previous owner sealed the lower end to the motor, so the poor mechanic is having a time pulling the lu.

thanks
dino

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 45hp worth fixing?

mechanic tells me that there is no spark and he cant confirm if its the stator or the switch box.
Find a mechanic that knows how to use a meter:facepalm: and you got a heck of a deal for $100

dkonrai

Find a mechanic that knows how to use a meter:facepalm: and you got a heck of a deal for $100

so the mechanic is telling me its best to replace the stator, trigger and switchbox. seems that when it all isnt changed that other problems can occur?? really?

dkonrai

here is some pitctures
here it is on the crate
Photo0175.jpg

a little hosing off,
Photo0176.jpg

Photo0178.jpg

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You see more stator and switchboxes fail than triggers . A quick ohms test will get you close to see want has failed and a DVA adapter on a meter will pinpoint it. I got customers with 1977 model engines with original triggers .....

dkonrai

You see more stator and switchboxes fail than triggers . A quick ohms test will get you close to see want has failed and a DVA adapter on a meter will pinpoint it. I got customers with 1977 model engines with original triggers .....

i guess the stators fail from heat? seems there isnt much to a stator. just some wire coils? i can see the switch box failing as with all electrical items. scary that there is so many failed switchboxes and stators.