Mercury Phatom black paint

mercuk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,
As stated I am in the process of respraying my 67' 3.9hp. Now I have sanded it down with wet and dry paper. Then thin layer of zinc primer. Good rid of all imperfections and re primed in quicksilver zinc primer.

Now I have just put a layer of phatom black on. On the smaller parts I waited a couple of days the put some quicksilver clearcoat on.

My question is that what is the best way to harden up all the paint on the engine because I keep finding you can put your nail into it REAL easy and no matter what I do it never seems to harden off enough.

I heard of some people gently heating with a heat gun as well?!

Please, please help me out guys, Ive put hours and hours into rebuilding this classic little engine from scratch and would really appreciate some help on getting my paint the best as possible. Many thnaks to all.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Mercury Phatom black paint

Welcome to iboats, first off.
Secondly, I can't believe you painted your '67 3.9 merc and did NOT post pics......Shame!!! :)

Last of all, give it a few more days. What temp were you spraying, and how long has it been that temp?
I would not use a heat gun. If it doesn't harden up after a couple of weeks of above 75 degree temps, you may have to start over. I personally like to spray catalyzed automotive clear on my motors for a good hard finish that's more durable.
Good luck,
JBJ

mercuk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to iboats, first off.
Secondly, I can't believe you painted your '67 3.9 merc and did NOT post pics......Shame!!! :)

Last of all, give it a few more days. What temp were you spraying, and how long has it been that temp?
I would not use a heat gun. If it doesn't harden up after a couple of weeks of above 75 degree temps, you may have to start over. I personally like to spray catalyzed automotive clear on my motors for a good hard finish that's more durable.
Good luck,
JBJ

Firstly YES! I promise to get some lovely pics of the whole rebuild of the engine, ONCE the paint has hardened up enough for me to put it back together and use it.......
I have just heat treated a couple of smaller parts with the heat gun to see if it makes any difference to "bake" it on the a bit better. Temps was nowhere near that, I would say around the 50 degrees temp..... For probably 4-5 days now

Can you please elabourate on "catalyzed" spray and what would be a U.K equivelent as I'm accross the pond...:)

I'm pretty sure my 67' is one of the only ones left here in u.k. That and the fact I have a 63' 9.8 in cloud white which I'm pretty sure (95%) is the only one in the country.... I'm a real Mercury nut, and hence why I wana get this paint spot on. The whole block has been rebuilt by myself from sctratch, new crank bearings, new crank seals, honed out cylinder, new piston and rings. Full gaket set renewal etc etc.

So any other advice as regards to paint would be great. I did spray some quicksilver clear coat and apart from make it look shiney it didn't do a lot else....
Any thoughts??!!!

jbjennings

Captain

By catalyzed clear, I just mean automotive clear with hardener in it. I get mine at the local auto paint store. You have to mix the clear with the hardener, and spray it on immediately. I've done it with good results with my cheapo Harbor Freight tools compressor and Harbor Freight paint gun. Do you have a "harbor Freight" store in the UK??
If you're spraying paint at only 50 degrees, that's probably your problem. It's supposed to be at least 70degrees to spray most paints.
I'd just figure out how to get it exposed to some warmer temps and give it a little time.
I'd love to see some pics of your '63 9.8 also.
I'm an OMC fan, but like mercs too. I've got a '72 merc 9.8 that I really like. Powerful little buggers, they are. YOur 3.9 sounds awesome! I've got the 4.5hp version of it, in the '86 model. It stays in my living room, waiting for my 2 boys to get old enough to wear it out.
Later,
JBJ

mercuk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By catalyzed clear, I just mean automotive clear with hardener in it. I get mine at the local auto paint store. You have to mix the clear with the hardener, and spray it on immediately. I've done it with good results with my cheapo Harbor Freight tools compressor and Harbor Freight paint gun. Do you have a "harbor Freight" store in the UK??
If you're spraying paint at only 50 degrees, that's probably your problem. It's supposed to be at least 70degrees to spray most paints.
I'd just figure out how to get it exposed to some warmer temps and give it a little time.
I'd love to see some pics of your '63 9.8 also.
I'm an OMC fan, but like mercs too. I've got a '72 merc 9.8 that I really like. Powerful little buggers, they are. YOur 3.9 sounds awesome! I've got the 4.5hp version of it, in the '86 model. It stays in my living room, waiting for my 2 boys to get old enough to wear it out.
Later,
JBJ

Ive just orded some 2 pack catalysed lacquer so I will see how I get on with it. Fingers crossed it won't destroy the phatom black underneath it....:redface:
Harbor freight is not availible in England.

I had a bad experience with a 4hp evinrude and vowed not to pick up an omc for as long as I lived...;) But yeah I got other mercs too, as well as them, got a 72' 7.5hp which is MINT is every single way totally 100% original and has 150+ psi on each pot..:D And a couple of mid 60's 6hp twins as well.
As well as the same as what you have a 85' 4.5 and a couple of 70's 4hp's.

I will post some pics up when the paint jpb is done and put back together again. like I said, fingers crossed...
Thanks for taking the time to reply and going by your reccommendation, I'm going to try the catalysed spray... Wish me luck..:D