1985 Mercury 175 hp leaking gas.

johnsonjam02

Seaman Apprentice
There is a hose that comes from somewhere under the floor of the boat it runs up to the port side of the engine. It hooks into a 'T' from there it seems like it discharges from the rear of the motor. When I took the boat out for the first time I smelled gas. I removed the cover and saw that this small hose was leaking gas. I am trying to splice the hose back together after cutting out the bad part. The hose is real old and too stiff to splice. I would like to replace all of it but I don't know where the hose comes from.
Should there be gas in this hose? Seems like putting gas into the lake is a bad idea to me.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1985 Mercury 175 hp leaking gas.

Are you saying this hose is not coming from your fuel tank??....Forget splicing.New hose is needed for any fuel hose.Can you lift the floor and have a look???Maybe a picture will help us help you.

phebus1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You definitely need to do some more detective work. The way you describe it, it sounds like the hose that runs up to your speedo and should not have gas in it.

johnsonjam02

Seaman Apprentice

You definitely need to do some more detective work. The way you describe it, it sounds like the hose that runs up to your speedo and should not have gas in it.

I took your advice and did some detective work. The hose goes to the water pressure gauge on the dash. I replaced as much of it as I could. I ran the boat for two hours today unhooked the hose and it had only lake water in it. No fuel.

Could this be possible: If I flooded the engine the first time I started it could the water pump have picked up water and fuel out of the lake and sucked it up into this hose?