Mercury Saltwater EFI leaking fuel and oil

scisgr8

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2001 Mercury 200HP Saltwater EFI. The boat was running fine and the last time I ran it, noticed the engine started to sputter and eventually shut off. Then the engine did not want to start back up. I could choke it and it would start; however the moment I put the engine in gear it would shut down.

Pulled the cover off and noticed a gas and oil mixed sludge on and around my fuel filter and realized something was wrong. After about 30-40 minutes of waiting, eventually got the motor to start and back in gear and idled back to the dock and loaded boat.

I removed the fuel filter and everything in it looked fine and definetely not leaking so put back on. Also removed the inline oil resevoir and re-attached and everything looked fine there. Any ideas of what I should check next or trouble shoot. Everytime I start the engine I notice the leak but can't pin point where it is coming from. Here are some photos:

Any advice and feedback is much appreciated before I take to a shop.....

2012-01-08 14_52_34.jpg2012-01-08 14_52_47.jpg2012-01-08 14_53_22.jpg2012-01-08 14_54_36.jpg2012-01-08 14_54_45.jpg

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury Saltwater EFI leaking fuel and oil

Looks like exhaust sludge to me. You may have an exhaust manifold leak.

scisgr8

Seaman Apprentice

Looks like exhaust sludge to me. You may have an exhaust manifold leak.

Can you explain in more detail, like what is an exhaust manifold? Sorry but I'm learning through trial and error.

Thanks,

TM

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Well, I do not have experience with this motor, know that up front. But all 2 stroke motors (not sure about 4 stroke) have this sludgy exhaust that typically comes out of the lower unit, at the water exhaust outlet. Some motors have a way of mixing the burnt gas and water exhaust on the way out, and it produces what you have on your finger. When there is an exhaust leak in any motor, it causes poor running symptoms as you have described. On the bottom of the block (typically) there is a gasket that connects the block and exhaust pipe, if there is a leak there you will sometimes find that sludge 'under the hood' rather than down the lower unit.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I just noted how that sludge is setting in the bottom of your cowl. I am 99% sure that you need to pull, or have your powerhead pulled and change the exhaust gasket that sets right under the block. I'd love to help save you a few hundred bucks, but unfortunately unless you are confident in pulling the powerhead, you are going to have quite a pricey visit to the shop. :(

Willyclay

Captain

I make no claims about being an expert but am curious about the hose barb in picture no. 5. Was there ever a hose connected to it? Most two-strokes I am familiar with have some sort of purge system to clear unburned fuel/oil mix out of the powerhead. That's what the residue on your finger looks like to me. Hopefully, one of the forum's Merc experts will post in and tell us all. Good luck!

scisgr8

Seaman Apprentice

I make no claims about being an expert but am curious about the hose barb in picture no. 5. Was there ever a hose connected to it? Most two-strokes I am familiar with have some sort of purge system to clear unburned fuel/oil mix out of the powerhead. That's what the residue on your finger looks like to me. Hopefully, one of the forum's Merc experts will post in and tell us all. Good luck!

I'm glad you picked that up and I noticed that as well which is why I took the picture. I've looked and looked for a host that should connect to it and haven't found it yet. I thought I would have found something loose. I'll have to get back in it this week and see what I can find when I've got some good daylight outside. I'll post again but thanks for the advice.

Willyclay

Captain

Never worked on a V6 Mercury. I am an old guy and had a Mark75 way back when. However, I do have a non-factory Mercury service manual on CD for 2001-2005 and found a schematic for EFI systems that shows a "bleed system return hose" routed through a "vapor separator" which is in-line with the electric fuel pump, fuel filter and injectors. Sorry I cannot help more than that but will keep looking.

scisgr8

Seaman Apprentice

Ok found out I have a cracked cylinder so powerhead is pretty much shot. Either going to have to order a reman powerhead or put another engine on the boat. Anyone have any suggestions of wholesale powerhead providers or a place to find remanufactured engines.

Thanks and you can call me 803 730 0757 or just reply here.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Shoot man, I'm truly sorry to hear that for you man. Sucks dude. And here I was hoping that all you needed was an exhaust gasket. Did you have a reputable tech check it? What were the compression readings? If you dont know for yourself you should find out before moving forward......

sutor623

Rear Admiral

P.S. did you leave water in the block and let it freeze? Otherwise wouldnt you have had some symptoms the last time that you ran the motor?

Willyclay

Captain

Ok found out I have a cracked cylinder so powerhead is pretty much shot.

Sorry to hear the bad news. Hope you can find an economical option to get on the water again real soon. Good luck!