2003 25hp 2stroke merc questions

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
I just picked up a sweet 25hp 2stroke merc.Gave it a tuneup and it runs awesome except a few minor things i need to ask here.

Well it seems like the idle is a hair high in neutal.I know it has the choke knob that can adjust the idle but by the sound of the motor it is a hair to high.How do i knock down the idle a hair.Maybe i'm not waiting enough time for it to warm up as i would think as the motor gets warmer the idle will drop or is that false?

Also the water seems to just drip out for a few minutes then it seems like it comes out hard like it should.I know these run on a thermostat but is it normal for it to just come out like a fast drip then go out like a stream?Maybe it takes a few minutes for the thermostat to open up.It is a new impeller so thats not it.

If anyone can help me on these issues i would be grateful.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 2003 25hp 2stroke merc questions

Sounds like your thermostat is not fully closing, possibly due to corrosion. The motor will drop in idle just a bit once it warms up. What do you mean adjust the idle by the choke knob? Thats not the way you want to do it. What you need to do is find the idle adjustment. Not sure if it is on a knob, you may need to get a screwdriver to the carb and find the idle adjustment screw.

boater1234

After watching a ton of videos on you tue it seems like it is a common thing on these mercs.They have a slow drip till they warm up then they flow good so that istaken care of.I will check out a book i have as far as the idle that may help me some i hope.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Serial number first.
That motor may or may not have a t/stat. It says so in the owners manual.
But i would change the impellar no matter what.

boater1234

The impeller was changed right before i bought it.Bad news the serial number was painted over on the block and on the motor itself it was torn off which makes me think 2 things.It was a stolen motor at one time that was bought up noth and taken down here as an old man delivered it to me and he has owned it for like 7yrs or so,or he did it to the serial numbers.I'm gonna go with number 1.It's to late now to worry about it as i bought it already.I usually look for stuff like that before i buy any motors but for some reason it slipped my mind.The guy who sold it to me didn't look like a thief but you never know.He said he has owned it for 7yrs so i can't call him a lier or thief.I paid a pretty penny for it.If something ever happens and it comes back on me i have all his info and number.I seriously don't know for sure if it was stolen or not but that would be my guess.If the owner just took off the numbers then he is a dummy for that.Any how the motor is in show room condition and it wasn't cheap as i paid $1800 for it and normally a stolen motor isn't sold for that type of money as a thief wants to get rid of stuff fast so that is why it may just be that the owner did it to the serial numbers.

Any how when the motor is dribbleing like that when it first starts it's normal from what i read because the thermostat needs to open up to get the water really going.The small problem i have is the idle which in the morning there is a screw you can turn while the motor is on to lower the idle.I'm just going to knock it down a hair as it just seems to high by a bit.

boater1234

Going out on the water today and i can't wait to try the new merc out.I did a complete tune up,got some new fresh gas,stabilizer,and a good yamaha decarb treatment so she is ready to fly.