separating powerhead from exhaust housing in mercury 1983 40hp

marty54

Recruit
I bought his engine about 3 years ago and have not had a chance to get it up and running. Firstly I discovered leaking seals in the lower leg, which I fixed. I replaced the impellar and water pump housing and got her running nicely for about 30 minutes out on the water. Then she died and although I can still start her water gushes from around the sparkplugs. I'm guessing the gasget in the water cover of the powerhead has gone. So I attempted to remove the bolts and of course they are all corroded so badly the top 4 just brokeoff so I will have to drill them out. After a lot of hassle I have removed the 8 bolts holding the powehead on to the exhaust housing but cannot budge it. The cowling makes it very hard to access the gasket join or indeed to achieve some sort of purchase to jolt it free as the manual suggests. I have no hung it upside down and applied pb blaster where possible but still to no avail. Any ideas on how to seperate them wold be much appreciated. From down under, Martin

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: separating powerhead from exhaust housing in mercury 1983 40hp

martin,those bolts can be really weak and coroded,but easy to punch them out (at least on mine 850).you might have cracked cover in the exaust compartment on port side of engine.try rocking ph back and forth few times as it could b stubern to get loose(given that u have remowed all bolts.hth

marty54

Recruit

Thankyou. I managed to separate them this morning . Hammer helped. Next problem seems to be to find parts. Thanks again for replying.

marty54

Recruit

Thankyou. I managed to separate them this morning . Hammer helped. Next problem seems to be to find parts. Thanks again for replying.
further question to anyone wrecking mercury's or some spare parts up their sleeve. The exhaust assembly plate between the powerhead and exhaust housing is badly corroded, but I am unable to locate a new one. The motor is a 40hp Mercury 1983 ..any ideas? Cheers